• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

elite operator 308

DUBJT

I'm new to forums so try to overlook the mistakes. I want to put an EO on layaway and I want to share in the experience of other owners first. I have not really researched this other than the name recognition and the magazine type, parts compatibility issue. I've got some questions if anyone cares to respond.

1) where does the weight come from

2) how can RRA make that accuracy guarantee

3) your thoughts on where they placed the front sling attachments

4) barrel break in

5) good Wal-Mart ammo to start with

6) accuracy potential @ 300 or 400 yds. with enough scope

7) how much abuse will this gun take

8) I've heard they have cryo treated Wilson barrels. Is that good? 

I have the Standard Operator w/20" barrel.With a full mag comes in @ 14.5lbs..Break in??? I just started shooting the damn rifle.Ammo eats everything,but I did have problems with some reloads a bro made up for me.It scuffed the brass in the begenning but that went away.Got over 700 rds.through it.Just added a SSA-E trigger I got on sale.Got nothing bad to say about the 2 stage NM it came with.Extras I had put on were ambi-selec,winter guard trigger guard,and operator collapseable stock.I attached the sling to handguard to isolate barrel harmonics also bipod.There are a few guys here that have RRA.Takes a beatin and keeps on tickin. <thumbsup>

I'm new to forums so try to overlook the mistakes. I want to put an EO on layaway and I want to share in the experience of other owners first. I have not really researched this other than the name recognition and the magazine type, parts compatibility issue. I've got some questions if anyone cares to respond.

1) where does the weight come from

2) how can RRA make that accuracy guarantee

3) your thoughts on where they placed the front sling attachments

4) barrel break in

5) good Wal-Mart ammo to start with

6) accuracy potential @ 300 or 400 yds. with enough scope

7) how much abuse will this gun take

8) I've heard they have cryo treated Wilson barrels. Is that good? 

1) Guessing you have held one down at your local shop…it's thick metal, so pretty heavy.  My EO weighs in at about 10.5 pound with a loaded mag and an Eotech 512.  Just shot it this morning.  Damn I love that rifle!!

2) Because they put together a quality product, attention to detail.  I know one person unhappy with the accuracy…he can only get his down to 5/8" with handloads.  Crybaby.

3) Don't use those sling attachments.  Got a separate type for each LAR-8 (20" Freedom Machine and 16" Liberty), both with QD sling mounts.  As to their position, they work.

4) Shoot lots and lots of ammo.

5) I used DAG surplus ammo to break both of mine in and am currently using 175gr FMJBT PPU for plinking ammo.  A friend gave me some M118 and both rifles shoot cloverleafs.

6) Sub-MOA

7) My main shooting range is a dust bowl…unless it's a mud pit.  The last time Liberty was cleaned was 40 rounds and one week ago.  The time before that was earlier this year (spring?) about 500 rounds before that.  I cleaned it because one of the PPU cases shucked a primer into the bolt-locking lugs…not the rifle's fault.

8 ) Don't know what brand barrels they use.  They are cryo treated and melonite coated.  Both look as new as the day I got them…when they're clean.

Here's a wet range pic…didn't shoot this day but have had both rifles in the rain and mud.

post-12390-0-66459000-1386806930_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

8 ) Don't know what brand barrels they use.  They are cryo treated and melonite coated.  Both look as new as the day I got them…when they're clean.

Wilson Arms makes their SS barrels for them.  I suspect Wilson supplies them with all their barrels, as all RRA rifles shoot damn well, accuracy-wise.

I've got a 16" midlength Wilson and an 18" rifle gas Wilson.  When I was hunting for a 20" Wilson for the Woody, the only people that had them were RRA, so that's where I got it from.

All three of my barrels are SS Match 1:8 twist with the .223 Wylde chambers.  All three shoot the lights out. 

• 4 weeks later...