• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lightweight Proj's

Robocop1051

Anyone have experience launching lightweight stuff out of a .308AR? Specifically something like the Hornady 110 or 125 grain stuff.

I'm more interested in the rounds ability to cycle the action reliably. I'm trying to build an argument, but it'd be moot if the rifle doesn't function properly.

The lightest I've fired is 147gr NATO, and that seemed to function just fine. I may just buckle and buy a few boxes to see how they do.

Edited by Robocop1051

Been wondering the same thing. Been thinking about loading some light ones for coyotes. Save a little on fur im guessing. Been getting just under $100 a coyote. Been carying around some 150 fmj to see what they do, but have been skunked on getting a dog. Putting a wolf hunt together here next month and trying to figure out what bullet to shoot.

Since '222' called me on the Nosler Accubond 125gr bullets. I also loaded Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting (green tip) 125gr spitzers p/n 30125 50 ct box. 8.0 gram which is recommended for deer and antelope. The other bullet is Sierra Prohunter 30cal 125gr spitzer #2120 100 ct box. All were tested with the 20 inch upper with iron sights on a sandbag at Rio (Usery Pass). Also shot the Prohunters at 4 Peaks juust under 800 yards one mag on a 10 x12 inch target , all hits with no wind that day.. I will look up my loads if you want them. Had to break out the notebook for this info , can't believe its useful.

Edited by Dane Armory

Been wondering the same thing. Been thinking about loading some light ones for coyotes. Save a little on fur im guessing. Been getting just under $100 a coyote. Been carying around some 150 fmj to see what they do, but have been skunked on getting a dog. Putting a wolf hunt together here next month and trying to figure out what bullet to shoot.

5.56mm is your answer, brother.  Put together some SMK 77s or some Hornady 75 BTHPs, get them to 2750 fps, and that's all you'll need. 

Wolves won't stand a chance. 

Ultimately, I'd tell you to load up some Barnes 70gr TSX and get it to 2700. That's just not an option these days...

All about Sabot rounds. Especially like those untraceable 77 grain grenades.

Got 'em.  Call me, brother.  <thumbsup>