• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need some tips

Cali_Ed

Time to begin saving your old targets.   In the future, they can help tell your progression, and give some hindsight as to what you are learning..   They have value!   even if not to your liking now.

I always start a new handgun two handed, from a rest.    resting my hands, holding the gun, of the top of a sand bag.   Then, squeeze off a shot.  It will help you by telling you just how accurate your gun is, with that ammo.   Then. you can adjust your sights, if needed.   Three shots are enough to tell you how its grouping, and weather you need to adj the sights.

Squeeze the trigger, and concentrate on the sights!

Respectfully

Terry

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are doing just fine.  Put a CT laser grip on the wifes P239 and found it was a real tool for me to "see" what she was doing when pulling the trigger. I was able to zero in on what areas she needed to work alot easier.  And what better excuse to get a laser right?  lol

Using the smaller targets i was able to see i wa jerking the gun sometimes. I feel my shots where a bit more concentrated and less spread out as they where last time but thats probably becuase of the closer range.

I also at want point thot of going with a cheap pic tiny laser to help me train

One more thing....shooting with both eyes open...you gotta know which is your dominate eye....me...im screwd...im left handed...shoot handguns, rifles and shotguns right handed. and my left eye is dominate...not a problem with scoped rifles ,but shooting clays and pistols is a different story...both eyes open

in shotgunning i put a small piece of opaque scotchtape on my left glasses lens in proper position in relation to barrel...just so my left eye couldnt focus on the clay...made my right eye dominate after several years of doing that,but now my left is dominate again....so now when i shoot hanguns(both eyes open) with a 2 handed grip my gun is kinda over to the left  using my dominate left eye when sighting a target...works for me :)  Wash

I'm right-handed, but left-eye dominant. When I got my first bb-gun, around 5 years old or so, my dad -- a WWII Marine -- taught me to shoot with both eyes open. It was a total struggle to do that, and I mean, for years. I finally got the hang of it, and everything he told me about his Marine sniper training (all open sights) turned out to be true.

It was all practice, practice, practice. When it finally started working, it was almost magical. I think the brain, or at least, mine, had to re-wire itself. Focus both eyes on the target, and the front blade/rear leaf are superimposed on top of what you want to hit. Like the sights are semi-transparent, but totally on top of your shot.

Overall, I'd say that being left-eyed and right-handed, shooting with both eyes open was the only way I got good enough at shooting for me to be satisfied with my shooting.

I'm left eye dom shoot shotguns and rifles left handed handguns right handed

Well there's your problem...same as me....you cant be consistent with this prob...i guess you know how the target jumps from one side to the other as you shut one eye....so me having the same prob as you..

i bring the gun over towards my left eye with the two handed grip,so my dominate eye takes over the sighting....to change my eye dominance it took the piece of scotch tape and thousands of rounds of shotshells shooting clays 4 times a week...I was stuck in c class sporting clays until I did the scotch tape

thing.....2 seasons later AA....bingo! :) Wash

My right eye is bad i close my left everything gets a little blurry

so, thats why shoot both eyes open,but position the gun a lil left so your dominate left eye takes over

works for me :) Wash

btw your targets arnt that bad either..good enough to punish the bad guy/

zombie.....a glock or any other type of combat gun ain't gonna be a bullseye shooter everytime either......so its all about the lead goin down the pipe...practice practice and some more :) Wash

Edited by washguy

I shoot with both eyes open, i usualy tilt my head head I'll try moving the gun over. Ima invest in some talon grips to help my grip

Nah dont tilt your head,just move the gun over to the left so you are sighting with left eye while both eyes are open your dominate left eye will take over...give it some practice time.

Oh and the laser...ive got a couple..for night intruders,but if you say your hand shakes...the laser dot might frustrate you cause it will be jumping all over the place...I personally like night sights though

:) Wash

Just finished a very frustrating process with an older student, shooting left eye and rt. handed. 

60-something years old, refused to shoot left handed, refused to update/grade his glasses, but had decent baseline for the fundamentals. 

I suggest shooting left handed, or updating eyeglasses so you can shoot with your rt. eye.

Figuring out eye dominance is one of 1st steps in NRA Basic Pistol class. Ask around for referrals to a GOOD NRA Basic Instructor, who also has some more advanced teaching. Take the Basic class-there is a class locator on the NRA website, for your area.

Your predicament is difficult but taking my recommendation applies more pros, for many more scenarios than just target shoots. OTOH, your targets are not bad either, for basic defense. <thumbsup>