• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need some tips

Cali_Ed

Meh, some NRA BP is pretty affordable: here's the basics for free-

(5) Basics: Grip, stance, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control. 

If you can get those fundamentals down AND be consistent with them, your muscle memory will eventually take over after a few thousand rounds. 

One danger of the inter-webs: everybody is an Instructor. IIRC, Ayoob is over on GlockTalk, he's the only one I'd lend an ear to.. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your grip is off. I suggest a Weaver stance and lean fwd with the weapon in a line thru your shoulder. Go slow and practice recoil recovery. Speed up as you go. Center mass is good. Once mastered start moving. Then you have to restart your muscle memory for center mass shooting under duress.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys here is an update to my shooting, things I've changed are, added some talon grips and shot 5 rounds at a time.

Here are the first 15 shots 5 yards( 3 magazines)

image_zps210265f5.jpg

Second 15 shots 7 yards

image_zpse2a3350f.jpg

And last 15 that i took pics of back down to 5 yards

image_zpsbc628c40.jpg

Thanks guys I'll probably practice at this range for a while mayne get them all in te black then move up to 7. What yardage do you have to be proficient for a ccw?

Good shooting. For AZ I believe the CCW yardage is 5 yards... (don't quote me)

Edited by shibiwan

Good shooting. For AZ I believe the CCW yardage is 5 yards... (don't quote me)

The old, pre-constitution carry requirements were 5 shots at 5 yards and 5 shots at 10 yards.  And you had to score 80% in the big box on a TQ-15 style target (or equivalent).

Requirement now is to show proof of firearms training: military, law enforcement/security, NRA "gun safety class" or equivalent.  While they were originally accepting that online buffoonery as a "CCW class", they since changed their minds and invalidated some hundreds of permits.

While they were originally accepting that online buffoonery as a "CCW class", they since changed their minds and invalidated some hundreds of permits.

Iowa accepts that 'online buffoonery' for its CCW class. There's exactly zero training on shoot/no shoot. Nothing on self defense, when to retreat, defense of property, defense of others, etc. It's pretty bad.

The old, pre-constitution carry requirements were 5 shots at 5 yards and 5 shots at 10 yards.  And you had to score 80% in the big box on a TQ-15 style target (or equivalent).

Requirement now is to show proof of firearms training: military, law enforcement/security, NRA "gun safety class" or equivalent.  While they were originally accepting that online buffoonery as a "CCW class", they since changed their minds and invalidated some hundreds of permits.

Is that current AZ CCW reqirements? I should really get off my ass and renew mine (expires Oct).

Edited by shibiwan

Is that current AZ CCW reqirements? I should really get off my ass and renew mine (expires Oct).

Having a current permit, all you need to do is get a renewal application and mail it in, with your money order for $43 made out to AZ DPS CCW Permit Unit.

Voíla!  All done!

AZ no longer requires a renewal class.

Slap a cheap laser on that Glock and dry fire practice the crap out of iit. I mean really try to wear it out.

Without the noise, recoil and distractions of live fire you'll naturally concentrate on trigger control.

You'll soon learn to keep that dot motionless while stroking the trigger.

Then take that POS laser off and hit the range.

Try to practice at realistic combat distances with combat handguns.

Don't expect the family SUV to be competitive at the Daytona 500.

Rinse and repeat.

Hey watch that talk about POS laser... ^-^  my 64 year old eyes love my crimson trace adda Kimber custom tac 2 and it makes for a surgical team. when you do not have to wear glasses except to read it is hard to see the sights in focus but the laser cured all that and i found by practice I can now turn it off and shoot almost as well....