• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need some tips

Cali_Ed

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wwhhaaaaaat?!  :sniper:

I do like the long range challenge…for carry pistols, the 1911s seem to be king of that arena.

Even if it does require a bit of lobbing.

Sure long range for fun.....but if you're training for self defense 7 yds or closer...its hard making a case for you shootin someone at a longer distance...you will be the one going to the big house...cause the state will say you could have run/removed yourself from the situation....only repeating what my lovely keeps telling me....cause she's the one that carries and is my bodyguard...lol :) Wash

A instructor showed me years ago how to grip a handgun and it helped a lot, everyone I have showed it to has used it and improved, I am sure its no secret but grip high and tight up against the beavertail with the firing hand (the less the gun sticks up out the top of your hand the better), then starting by putting the support hand thumb against the firing hand thumb just ahead of it you will see how the joints of the two actually fit or align between each other, then wrap the fingers around the front. It's hard to explain but the way he showed me was to get my grip and he made a sharpie index mark on my thumbs so I could use that to verify alignment every time until it was a habit, it works very well, it's very consistent, and keeps your hand out of the way of the hammer or slide. If I knew how to post pics I would put one up. Also focus on the front sight not the target or the rear sight.

Edited by texas30cal

A shake beyond holding out a couple of pounds at arm's length for an extended period?

My buddy shakes all the time.  Doctors don't have any idea what the hell it is…but they know it isn't Parkinson's.

His last year working corrections was spent mostly trying to qualify on the range, and when he DID qualify the Chief Range Master over rode it and said he was too unsafe.

CRM got over ridden too, as they need every hand out there…shaking or not.

When I only had a motorcycle, he loaned me his truck to pick up somebody from the airport.  He got to my house and I said "Here! Have a beer while you wait!"

I started closing out programs on the computer with him standing behind me, when one of his shake-fits started and he shook beer all over me…and I was 5 minutes late already.

Good thing the cops didn't stop me all beer reeky and stuff.

When taking out a new pistol, I fire as many mags as needed from a front rest supporting my two hands.

Once I'v got a good sight pic, and good trigger control, then I'll go to standing at 7-10 yards.  Takes out a lot of human error, and gives the shooter more confidence in the new weapon.

SIGHT PICTURE is EVERYTHING!!!!   Sights may be crude to non-estance, trigger pull can be auwfull,breath control down the tubes, but if the sight pic ic correct when the gun goes off, you WILL hit the target,

Respectfully

Terry

What helped me the most was a class. Not till I had some instruction on what I was doing did my groups really tighten. Having said that, it's all in the mechanics. Some things that helped... Get your breathing under control. Shoot at the same spot, hold in out, the middle... does not really matter, just shoot at the same point in your breath every time.

The correction chart is good... but it does not take into account if you are doing multiple things... only if everything is good and you are doing the one wrong thing.

Follow through for me is holding the trigger to the rear until I regain sight picture, then release and press for next shot. No it isn't speed shooting, it is practicing trigger control. That seemed to really help me. And yes, it helps shooting fast.

Snap caps are great for shooting. I mix them into my mags and see exactly what I'm doing when it does not go off. And I don't keep track of them... I load a few mags with caps in various places order wise and forget where they are all at. When it does not fire it's a surprise.

I never understood shooting with both eyes open till I read an article by Todd L. Green... made perfect sense then. Maybe you do it, but perhaps you still might not know.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/vision

Edited by Powerman