• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need some tips

Cali_Ed

Hey guys finally made to the range after a few months of not shooting. Still trying To get used to my g17 . So according to the correction chart i took with me I'm pushing or not following through. Can someone explain that to me in detail? Here's my range targets very thing is at a set range of 25 yards. Thanks in advance!

image_zps96fb9fa4.jpg

Edited by Cali_Ed

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt is right on follow through.

You won't improve anything until you shoot up close, start at 7 yards.  This will allow you to easily maintain the same sight picture each and every time.

Once you have a nice, tidy group, then you can set to work about identifying what you're doing incorrectly.

95% of the people with Glocks say "It shoots low and left" (anticipating the shot recoil and pushing the trigger/right hand shooter) or "It shoots low and right" (anticipating recoil and pulling the trigger into the shooting hand/right hand shooter…both are swapped for a lefty).

If you have standard Glock sights, keep your circle centered in your box the whole time you slowly squeeze the trigger to the rear, focusing on the front sight.

FWIW, ignore the correction chart until you can get groups half the size of your palm…then refer to the chart.

After you have 7 yards mastered, move out to 10, then 15, then 20, and back out to 25.

I guess I'll have to go to a different range,

For what its worth I've also shot a les Baer same yardage all bulls eye or right out side of it. Hmmmm

I have a theory that the 1911 is the most naturally aimed handgun in existence, but that's just my $.02, so take it for what it's worth. I'm just curious, how do you address your grip to the pistol? What firing stance do you typically use?

Today grip wise i was trying a 60/40, 40 being the hand griping the pistol. I use the weaver stance and isosceles stance aswell

With a new or unfamiliar pistol, I usually start by using my support hand to place the pistol in my firing hand with the barrel as directly aligned to the line of my forearm between elbow and wrist as possible. Then I raise the pistol to my firing stance, applying only minimal muscle tension. I look at my sight picture, and if the sights don't naturally align, I will rotate my grip counter-clockwise or clockwise and repeat the process until the sights align automatically and naturally. Then I practice addressing my grip in that orientation when drawing and presenting to the firing stance. The other factor you might need to assess, is your trigger pull. The 1911 takes all the work out of pressing straight to the rear for you. Most polymer pistols have the "hinged" trigger that pivots around a pin, so achieving a straight trigger pull means overcoming the tendency to "torque" the pistol while you are effectively moving pressure around a hinge on a lever. 

Again, I'm no expert, this is just my good 'ol boy $.02, but hopefully it gives you food for thought.

98 today i was shooting right handed but if i where to shoot left handed just picture those pictures but flipped.

This range is pretty much down the street kinda lol i guess I'll have to make the trip to one that has adjustability lol

I shoulda just went with the sig that thing felt like a glove but cost 300 more lol

Edited by Cali_Ed

98 today i was shooting right handed but if i where to shoot left handed just picture those pictures but flipped.

This range is pretty much down the street kinda lol i guess I'll have to make the trip to one that has adjustability lol

I shoulda just went with the sig that thing felt like a glove but cost 300 more lol

Whatever gun you're shooting, it's really all about practice practice practice. I don't profess to be a marksman but I know when I made a bad shot and typically can anticipate "where that last round went". Focus on consistency in the sight picture, grip/support and stance, pull smoothly & firmly on the trigger and don't forget the follow through.

The Sig SP2022 is a great budget option that nobody seems to consider/know about. The trigger feel is VERY nice (I feel it's on par with the P226 that I used to carry in the military) and it usually around $550 new, $400+ used. Poly frame, much like a Glock. Much nicer than the Sig P250 - that DAO trigger on the P250. I bought it (used - because you can't really kill a Sig) because it felt really great in my hand, and I had compared Glocks, S&W M&Ps, and the XD/XDm handguns I held.

IMG_20130924_162701.jpg

Edited by shibiwan

I'll have to go to a range with adjustability and shoot at 5-10 yards and report back after i attempt to apply what u guys have told me. I want to get some talon grips or something, sometimes my hands get sweaty lol

I felt and held the p2022 but i just like the feel of a heavier gun. Helps stabilize that natural shake of my hands

Edited by Cali_Ed

Will have to do that, when u say more support is it like holding it firmer?

Yep. 

Your pistol will recoil UP if you don't grip it tight enough with both hands, and/or control the trigger follow through.

Your pistol will recoil left/right, to the "path of least resistance."  Shooting right-handed, and seeing it recoil towards the left = good grip with the right (firing) hand - but unequal support on the other side of the pistol. 

Pistol hand - grip pressure:  hold the pistol in your firing hand (one hand).  Focus on a target.  Tighten your grip to the point that your sights (sighted on a target) start to shake - that's too much grip pressure.  Start SLOWLY relaxing your grip until your sights do not shake anymore...  That's the perfect grip pressure that you need with your firing hand. 

Then...  you need to match that force with your non-firing hand, in support.  Gripping and making things shake isn't the way to do it - test firing with different amounts of pressure is the only way.

Edited by 98Z5V

Put my glock to the test at 300 yds missed 9/10 rnds but glock 22 must be 15 years old (used before me pd) with the same trigger and barrel and it was a long shot!! Nothing but good to go on my side glock! Can't wait for the g42! :)

Yeah I was doing that with my 229 and kentucky windage at 100yds and thought it was funny, BANG....................clang.  But 300yds? dam, must have taken 6 seconds to get there.

Cali Ed, as far as grip I've found that what you do with your thumbs effects the frame of the pistol quite a bit. I usually point them straight towards my target parallel with each other and not pushing on the frame at all. Also put a consistant almost death grip on your right hand.

Edited by Toolndie7

98 what if my hands have a small shake to then natrually that would affect my aim right lol.

I mean if that was a person most of my shots would have connected on his chest hahahaha

Ima aim to go to the range twice a week

Twice a week and dryfire too at home…you'll have it sewn up in no time!