• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS barrel / LAR8 upper...

Caliper

New member here, I've read some older threads on the forum where forum members have found that DPMS barrels will fit a RRA upper:

Reading both threads, folks are reporting that the headspace is on the tight side using this combination (RRA bolt, DPMS barrel) has anyone compared the RRA to the DPMS bolt? I'm wondering if the DPMS bolt face is a hair deeper than RRA, or the locking lugs are a bit shorter or something. Is it possible that the DPMS bolt could fit in the RRA BCG?

I'd help with measurements, but my LAR8 is still on order from Dec '12... Just looking ahead and know that I want to switch calibers but RRA has stopped selling anything but a .308 barrel (very distressing).

Edited by Caliper

I believe its probably equivalent to the "using an AR10 barrel in a LR308", to where you need to match the barrel with the bolt. so for a RRA barrel, use an RRA bolt. The carrier should be the same on any of them. in the end if you are going to switch calibers if you get a custom / semi custom barrel made you can send in your bolt and they'll headspace to match.

Greetings all from Northern Illinois. I have been following this forum for a while and have been frustrated too with the lack of caliber options on the Rock River platform. I'm a retired Marine, hotrodder, shooter and wanting to help supplement my "budget" and was wondering:

Would anyone pay $1000.00 for a full float tube equipped Rock River LAR 8 compatible upper with a 20" light contour 338 Federal barrel or a heavy contour 260 Remington? This would be complete with no bolt or charging handle. (Use your bolt, carrier and charging handle). Just wondering if there is a market after I get done testing. Lead times would apply of course due to the industrial base demand right now. Thanks for the time annd space! Y‘all be safe, Semper Fi!

KBob

I believe its probably equivalent to the "using an AR10 barrel in a LR308", to where you need to match the barrel with the bolt. so for a RRA barrel, use an RRA bolt. The carrier should be the same on any of them. in the end if you are going to switch calibers if you get a custom / semi custom barrel made you can send in your bolt and they'll headspace to match.

Rock River 308 bolt carriers are longer than DPMS/SR-25 bolt carriers / Armalite AR-10 carriers. 

That's one of the bigger differences in the 3 major patterns we deal with.

• 7 months later...