• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

NFA Form 1

NTXshooter

You have to file the Form 1 with the ATF first. Wait the 6-8 months. Then get the engraving done.

Gotta question that one Ron. My local Class 3 dealer says the engraving has to be done before the Form 1 is sent in because the receiver has to be described in the form and the manufacturer's name and location engraved on the receiver is a pertinent part of that description.

This is sounding like engraving a lower is a fairly easy standard thing. Is it really? I'd take mine in for a small engraving job, but I'm not sure where I'd go to ask for that.

Gnat, the ATF has specifications on depth etc. on the engraving. There are a lot of places that can do it that come up by doing an online search. I'm getting mine done by a local 'smith who makes AR-15 barrels for Brownells. If you can find someone local you can save the expense of shipping a 'firearm'.

Gotta question that one Ron. My local Class 3 dealer says the engraving has to be done before the Form 1 is sent in because the receiver has to be described in the form and the manufacturer's name and location engraved on the receiver is a pertinent part of that description.

Always better safe than sorry when dealing with BATFE brother. It's one healluva long wait. But after building multiple SBR's, the location of the "manufacture" doesn't matter. If it did, it would have (yet) another box to fill in on the Form 1. I can PM you copies of mine if it would help. But it's basically just a Form 1 that's been filled in.

Ok here is a question on this subject lets say you have a few black rifles can you take one of them and take that lower and use it for a short barreled build then after you get your stamp can you use it for both uppers long and short? and would you need to engrave it ,since it already has a manufacturer and serial number on it?

You always have to get them engraved. Just for the ATF compliance. Once they're registered as SBR lowers, you can use them for any length upper. Long or short.....doesn't matter. And even though you have to state a barrel/overall length, you don't have to worry about it once it's registered. You can run even shorter uppers on it if you want. They just want their 200 bucks for the stamp, and make you jump through the hoops. After that.....it's game on.