• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What short dot for SR-25

So i'm waiting for my upper to come back after it's built. From there I need a mount and optic. I'd like to say I will shoot out to 1,000 yards, but the reality is I will have access to a 400 yard range. If I do shoot at longer distances, it wouldn't be often, maybe once or twice a year. 

I'm pretty set on getting a low powered scope. I'm not really looking to put a 6-24x on it. I want something quality, but the cheaper the better. I have no issue spending $1000 plus mount.

Things I want:

FFP

Mil/Mil turrets/reticle

At least 6x magnification at the high end

I'm leaning towards a SWFA 1-6x. It comes in at the price point I want, well known quality, and I like the reticle design

SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

I was planning on grabbing that with a SWFA Brobo one piece mount and calling it a day. Then I saw the USO 1-8x SR-8s and kind of fell in love. 

U.S. Optics 1-8x27 SR-8s 30mm Riflescope

Between the two what would you choose? Is the USO worth the extra $.

I was also considering the SR-8c which will give me a red dot as well. I'd get it with the Larue LT104 QD mount below:

http://www.laruetactical.com/scope-us-optics-sr8-1-8x30-mm-and-qd-scope-mount

The common sense portion of my brain tells me get the SWFA and shoot the crap out of the gun, then with the money saved, buy lots more ammo and keep shooting. The other portion tells me get the USO because from everything I read it's an awesome scope and I won't wonder if I should have gotten it down the road.

Opinions?

Any others I should look into. I do not want a 1-4x. Definitely want at least 6x on the high end.

This is will be going on my build which consists of a Lilja 18" barrel.

Edited by ninjajimmy

I have the Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x32 with the Velocity 600 reticle. With the Nightforce titanium mount, you're looking at about $1500.

I'm a big fan of the SWFA 1-6x (FFP) and the Vortex Razor HD Gen ii 1-6x24 (SFP). I'm leaning a little more towards the SWFA right now, although the window in the Vortex is enormous... scope dilemmas are inescapable.

Then I saw the USO 1-8x SR-8s and kind of fell in love. 

U.S. Optics 1-8x27 SR-8s 30mm Riflescope

Between the two what would you choose? Is the USO worth the extra $.

I was also considering the SR-8c which will give me a red dot as well. I'd get it with the Larue LT104 QD mount below:

http://www.laruetactical.com/scope-us-optics-sr8-1-8x30-mm-and-qd-scope-mount

Screw USO. I bought an SR-8S earlier this year and had nothing but problems with it (see my experiences ). USO proved to me that they're incompetent and act like a company that doesn't actually have any engineers (leading me to believe they contract out engineering work). The red dot of the "c" model is cool, but the SR-8 eye box is far too narrow to use it well.

I replaced my SR-8S with a March-F 1-8x and have been happy with it. I don't miss the illumination at all. Kelbly's is the only US distributor and when they have sales the price difference between the SR-8 and March-F is small.

bmoney got his SWFA 1-6x in the other week. It's sweet. Not super bright, but very functional.

Edited by FaRKle!

I actually think I settled on the Leupold Mark 6 1-6x in an ADM Recon mount. I like the 7.62 reticle, it has FFP, and I've heard great things about it.

I think you will enjoy it. I run a Mark 6 and it is a robust piece. I like the ADM mount as well, but have you looked at the bobro and GDI? If you don't need the QD, the Badger is solid.

Edited by StainTrain

I did look at the Brobo, but at $100 or so more, i've settled on the ADM. The GDI is even more. I think the ADM covers all my bases while being relatively cheap.

EDIT: Just placed the Mark 6 optic order with Eurooptic....last one they had and the best price I could find by hundreds!

Edited by ninjajimmy