• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Right barrel LENGHT for a 300 blackout

Garryztopshop

308 AR or 300 AAC AR?

Simple answer is 16" with pistol gas system for a 300 AAC (hard to find the right barrel) but it functions perfectly fine with a carbine gas system. 14.5" if you're OCD and pin on a proper length flash hider to make it 16". 1:7 to 1:8 twist is what you're going to find out there in 300 AAC.

Any less than that and you have to make it a pistol, or get the right forms for an SBR. Any longer than that and it won't work well.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Edited by shibiwan

Pistol 300 blk 10.5" to 11.5" with pistol gas syatem. Any thing shorter you will problems and cycleing issues.

Unless it's a Shibigun. 8.5" barrel runs like clockwork even when firing unsuppressed subs. :D

I should probably bring it to Mike's the next time you guys decide to waste ammo.

Edited by shibiwan

Confusing thread title, compared to opening statement/question.

OP please clarify which platform you're really talking about here.

He DID post in the 300 AAC subsection of the forum, so I guess it would be 300 AAC

Edited by shibiwan

Unless it's a Shibigun. 8.5" barrel runs like clockwork even when firing unsuppressed subs. :D

I should probably bring it to Mike's the next time you guys decide to waste ammo.

Suppressed with an adjustable gas block !

Back to designed right or with bandaids to get it to function.

Suppressed with an adjustable gas block !

Back to designed right or with bandaids to get it to function.

Not for a 300 AAC. The design intent of the 300 AAC was to run subs and/or suppressed with no gas system mods so you can go back and forth without futzing with anything.

Edited by shibiwan

^^^^ Yep. No adjustable gas block on my 10.5 " Noveske barreled SBR. It shoots subs or supersonic without a problem.

Another example 10.5" and no problems !

If you go shorter the gas port size has to be experimented with , also buffer weights must be dailed in.

Just Sayin'

He DID post in the 300 AAC subsection of the forum, so I guess it would be 300 AAC

Doesn't mean anything.  Hell, we've got people asking for target dope for 50s in the "Accurizing the 308AR" section.   <dontknow>

Let's get it - I'll be back out there Thursday morning.  <thumbsup>

Doesn't mean anything.  Hell, we've got people asking for target dope for 50s in the "Accurizing the 308AR" section.   <dontknow>

Look at that dope!  LOL

Thursday... um gotta see how it pans out tomorrow. Trying to get the prototype M4 lowers machined this week so I can come out and play. :D

Edited by shibiwan