• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

80%Arms.com DPMS style build question

txchl

8)  New to 308's.  I purchased a 80%Arms.com 308 paper weight and an "80%.308 Easy Jig" recently.  I prep my paper weight and now it is a DPMS 308 Lower.  Well nearly.  I purchased a DPMS 308 lower kit from "Cheaper than Dirt" mainly because it had all parts particular to my lower.  I assembled my lower last night with these parts.  All parts fit and function checks good. 

Now to the problem (sorry for long road to problem). :blahblah:  My safety passes the function check (both of them), BUT when I move it from safe to semi there is not a positive stop at the semi position.  Also, both stops (at safe and semi) are not perfect 90 degrees like on manufactured lowers/safeties.  They are closer to 100 degrees with point of safety pointing past 90 degrees.

I have made a video and taken pictures of this problem for viewing by admin and/or people who know about these things.   Well I made video with my iPhone and site will not let me upload???

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated, even if it is buy another paper weight and try, try, try again.  :o

Thx for your time and help. 

TxCHL

Abilene, TX

post-15086-0-83033500-1410408705_thumb.j

post-15086-0-64343000-1410408719_thumb.j

Edited by txchl

98Z5C

No I didn't have to drill safety detent hole in lower.

Do you have a picture of the safety detent that goes in this build?  Maybe I put the wrong one in hole.  It looked like a miniature level weight like you use to do a weight and balance on an airframe (if you know what that is).....  Sorry it's the Army rotary wing mechanic coming out in me.  :banana:  It looks like a miniature pointed bullet with casing.

yeah, I was back out there for a conference when I worked for the gov't in '07 I think it was.  It's true you can't go back home.....  I was an Army Brat (of the worst ilk), then I was n the Army (3yrs, 10 days, @@@ hrs, but who's counting), then I worked for the Army as a civilian for 29 years before I tore my back up in Afghanistan, then they wanted me to PCS to Rock Island, IL.  Hell no, so I took a medical (I'm one of those evil gov't employees on disability {six back ops later}).  So now I get to baby sit my 3 yr old grandson every day.  Makes a man feel old, proud and afraid about-of and for him.  Anyway.  I'll do some digging tomorrow and let you men know what I found.

If you remove the detent, spring and selector check the alignment of the hole for the detent with the hole you drilled for the selector. The end of the hole for the detent should be centered in the wall of the hole you drilled for the selector. Also make sure there are no burrs in the end of the detent hole where it intersects with the selector hole, it can prevent the detent from protruding enough to engage with the indentations on the selector. I had those same problems with a paperweight that I did a while back.

Edited by guruofhotrod

Either the Paperweight had the detent hole drilled slightly out of place or the jig I used had the fire control group holes slightly out of place, I'm gonna guess in my case it was the former of the two - either way when I drilled the 3/8" hole for the selector the existing hole for the detent did not intersect the selector hole on center it was slightly forward of center if I remember correctly resulting in the selector not being "clocked" correctly.

Edited by guruofhotrod

I just left it as it was, I suppose it would be pretty easy to press a small aluminum dowel machined with a step in diameter to match the bore of the detent (it changes diameter where the spring transitions to the detent) into the detent hole perhaps with a little loctite 609 and then re-drill the hole first to the small diameter for the detent followed by the larger diameter to the proper depth to allow for clearance of the larger portion of the detent pin then, you'd have to make sure the hole in the grip for the spring was revised to line up with relocated detent hole. To me it was more trouble than it's worth, I can live with the selector positions being off a tiny bit.

Edit, Looking again at your pics, I now see the wider than 90 degree swing of the selector and as 98 first suggested, it would be 

a good idea to try another selector since the locations of the indentations determine the angle between the positions. The problem

I encountered simply shifted both positions a slight bit but they were still 90 degrees apart and function just fine.

Edited by guruofhotrod

Either the Paperweight had the detent hole drilled slightly out of place or the jig I used had the fire control group holes slightly out of place, I'm gonna guess in my case it was the former of the two - either way when I drilled the 3/8" hole for the selector the existing hole for the detent did not intersect the selector hole on center it was slightly forward of center if I remember correctly resulting in the selector not being "clocked" correctly.

This is what I was immediatley thinking.  detent hole is not on center

hold the presses men.  I disassembled and found the detent could not fully seat into hole (wen converting paper weight into 308 lower I drilled the safety holes on both sides of the receiver).  I failed to remove small amount of aluminum from around the detent hole.  After cleaning this up, my safety works and feels correct now.

I want to thank all you for helping me pull my head out of my rectum........   I'll keep you abreast of my build as I go along.  Be good.

jd

Also make sure there are no burrs in the end of the detent hole where it intersects with the selector hole, it can prevent the detent from protruding enough to engage with the indentations on the selector.

I ran into the same issue, had me stumped for a bit - glad that's all it was!  <thumbsup>

Edited by guruofhotrod

• 3 months later...