• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

best way to go about an eighty percent

Cali_Ed

I thought I was the only one up this late.

I'm still ignorant.  I've use a router jig to rough out a bolt rifle stock's barrel channel, but I've never heard of an 80% lower.  I got out of the match game before AR's got popular and never heard of that in relation to the M-16's I'm familiar with.  I have built a HB 16" upper and put it on a Bushmaster lower, but I guess I'm still new to the terminology that's come with the popularity of the platform.

Did my research. Now I think I know what you were asking,  I think at a minimum, you'd need a 1/2" drive bit and a carbide cutter and a heavy-duty router with speed control.  I've never tried milling aluminum with a router, but it might work.  Probably need a bit extension to go deep enough too.  My biggest concern would be bit chatter.

There are plenty of YouTube videos of people using drill presses with regular HSS bits completing the 80% lowers. Just look them up.

Could be - just outside my experience.  It's a lot easier, in my experience, it's a lot easier to control rate of feed with a drill press.  I always tend to get ahead of the router when I try to plunge it into tough woods like Teak or Koko.  I've never tried to route aluminum. 

Yeah.  I tend to push it. Don't have the patience i did when I was younger - not as steady freehand either for some darn reason.  I also like the better visibility I get on a press.  I spent less on my benchtop press than I did my Craftsman heavy duty plunge router too.  I got it on the cheap at Harbor Freight but it's worked well for me.

If you get your hands on a CNC there are files you can use (someone on this site has them I'm sure) where it will drill it out perfectly. Also, there is a couple places around San Diego that do "Machine Rentals" where you take your 80% and they walk you through how to do it. I'm still looking for the right people to do this with. Actually I have access to a CNC but I don't have the files.