• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Short barrel 308

Chaser

So I am looking to do a variant similar to the ECC. I know that the dwell time is critical, so I figured I'd verify with others having similar experiences and see about possibilities of other configurations rather than automatically enlarging the gas port. 

I was looking at doing an adjustable gas block underneath the sight.  I can use a MAMS 7.62, but also looked into standard flash-hiders.  Also, rather than a full length buffer, I would like to use a carbine buffer to shorten the distance that the BCG travels.  Does anyone have experience on if this would work?  My initial plan would be using a Rainier Arms UltraMatch .750 barrel cut to 16 inches.  I'd rather not use a KAC MAMS, but rather a Vortex style flashhider (keeping it similar in design to my other rifle). 

Any input would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

v/r,

Jon

there are plenty of barrels in different configurations that work fine, and 308s are well gassed, so I doubt opening up a gas port will be necessary. also, the BCG moves the same distance regardless of buffer setup. you loose some weight with the carbine setup but you can get it back with a heavy buffer.

I just remember from speaking with JP Rifles that they said shortening below around 18 inches could create cycling problems, but I really would like a short version that is more able to work in confined spaces.

Initially I thought of creating just a second upper.... but I still like the idea of two rifle setups.

So a standard flash hider should work well with the barrel. That is great to hear. I am not really in love with KAC thinking that they have the monopoly on military markets, even though some of their stuff looks nice.

V/R,
Jon

-Edited to correct phone's autocorrect of my already correct correction.  Jon

Edited by Chaser

there's a couple factory 308 16" barrels. Fulton even makes one with rifle length gas system. no need to spend money chopping one unless you already have it. I would never spend that much on a kac muzzle device, even if I could afford it. I like nice stuff, but those are just a little silly. just make sure you get the right size for a .30 cal.

Yup. I knew about the .30 muzzle brake. This will be my second 308 and third rifle overall. I have researched a lot before I drop money. ...both so I can avoid wasting money, and because I am allergic to having my rifle blow up on me. Lol.

Thanks for the info on Fulton armory. I didn't know that they had 16 inch with rifle length gas systems.

V/R,

Jon

Never heard of JR rifles, but they are idiots. If anything smaller than 18" creates cycling problems, why are there so many 14.5" and 16" rifles on the market from top tier manufacturers? Or a 12.5" like my Noveske?

We have first hand experience here, not theoretical nonsense or any reason to steer you to a product for personal gain.

Just saying.

Ah hell...JP Rifle...my phone autocorrected.  It wasn't the 16 inch barrels alone, but 16 inch barrel combined with rifle length gas tubes.  Fulton Armory appears to have discontinued their rifle length 16 inch barrel, but their 18 inch is on sale, so that may be my start point.  Trying to keep it short and portable, but still have my own constraints of what I'm looking to accomplish.  Reviews on the internet seem to be mixed, but I'm not going to be shooting Wolf ammo through it, so I'm not extremely concerned regarding that happening.

V/R,

Jon

16"er's are pretty standard throughout the industry. But they're not exactly "short".

Short =

post-12568-0-20589500-1414370121_thumb.j
Armalite AR10 w/12.5" Noveske barrel.

post-12568-0-90642500-1414370188_thumb.j
POF P308 w/12" barrel. Piston driven.

post-12568-0-39403000-1414370254_thumb.j
DSA OSW w/11.5" barrel. Not an AR, it's a FAL, but still a SBR 308.

The POF and the DSA have adjustable gas systems. Whereas the Armalite does not. But they all run without any issues. At least.....so far.

I apologize for the confusion.  I'm familiar with the TRUE SBRs....but for rifle length gas systems, this is probably as short as you could really go.  I'm just looking to make sure that it's effective from others with similar experiences.  I'll try to fix  the title to avoid future confusion.

V/R,

Jon

-Edit:  I can't update the title.  I'll try to be a little more clear.  As I reread the posts, I kinda wondered whether I'd accidentally ingested some sort of "Derp Sauce", as I usually try to be a hell of a lot smarter when I'm generating a post.  My apologies. - Jon

Edited by Chaser