• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Defensive Sporting Rifle vs AR10B

OK...I meant AR10A but can't seem to edit that. Sorry.

Can someone explain the differences between the two? Where is the >$500.00 price difference? I see a single stage trigger on the DSR vs a two stage tactical on the A, and the A says it has a phosphate coated 4140 barrel, the DSR only says "chromoly".

Anything else anyone is aware of? Are the receivers and BCG the same?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by sfoxwell

Probably less than you think. Armalite is in the process of revamping their whole product line. Check the CDNN thread in this Armalite section for some links to some closeout deals, I am guessing that the Defensive rifle will become their budget line competing with DPMS/Bushmaster, etc., and they will be expanding and improving their "Prime" product line. Firearms media reports indicate they will be partnering with stock, barrel and accessory manufacturers to come out with some highly refined and accessorized AR's. All standard Armalite barrels are Chrome lined, except the stainless models, so I am thinking the defensive rifle is just a new term to get away from Assault rifle.

Edited by Sisco

AR10a should be a 308 rifle , I don't know their designation of their .223/5.56 line , but sure its not AR 10a & that's what is posted in this thread .

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=DEF10&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=c4bf2a5c-d77d-4f58-8022-95f6afe8e6cf

Ejection port cover, forward assist, and brass deflector are standard on all DSR Series rifles.

Model: Defensive Sporting RifleTM 10
Caliber: .308/7.62X51 mm NATO
Barrel: 16" double lapped and chrome lined/chrome moly for enhanced corrosion resistance and extended life; Threade 5/8x24
Rifling Twist: 1:11.25" RH, 150 - 175 gr. ammo with 168 gr. being ideal
Muzzle Device: Flash Suppressor
Front Sight Base: MIL-STD 1913 rail gas block; Top of gas block is .398 (+/-.010) lower than top of receiver
Upper Receiver: Forged flat-top with MIL-STD 1913 rail, 7075-T6 Aluminum
Lower Receiver: 7075-T6 Aluminum (forged)
Trigger: Single Stage
Overall Length: 35" (collapsed); 38.3" (extended)
Weight: 7.9 lbs.
Finish: Anodized aluminum finish on upper and lower receiver
Included with Rifle: One (1) 20-round Magpul PMAG and a Limited Lifetime Warranty

Edited by survivalshop

Probably less than you think. Armalite is in the process of revamping their whole product line. Check the CDNN thread in this Armalite section for some links to some closeout deals, I am guessing that the Defensive rifle will become their budget line competing with DPMS/Bushmaster, etc., and they will be expanding and improving their "Prime" product line. Firearms media reports indicate they will be partnering with stock, barrel and accessory manufacturers to come out with some highly refined and accessorized AR's. All standard Armalite barrels are Chrome lined, except the stainless models, so I am thinking the defensive rifle is just a new term to get away from Assault rifle.

So you believe that by buying the SDR you can save almost 600.00 and get basically the same rifle as the AR10A4 CBF? I really don't care much about the rest of the rifle except the receivers and BCG. I usually build my rifles from scratch but you can't buy the A model receivers alone, so the next best thing would be DSR as a foundation. Probably re-barrel it and do the stock and hand guards. Or not...might just put an A2 stock on it and a good barrel and leave it as a basic carbine.

I wonder if it uses the same BCG and barrel as the B model.

Edited by sfoxwell

So you believe that by buying the SDR you can save almost 600.00 and get basically the same rifle as the AR10A4 CBF? I really don't care much about the rest of the rifle except the receivers and BCG. I usually build my rifles from scratch but you can't buy the A model receivers alone, so the next best thing would be DSR as a foundation. Probably re-barrel it and do the stock and hand guards. Or not...might just put an A2 stock on it and a good barrel and leave it as a basic carbine.

I wonder if it uses the same BCG and barrel as the B model.

That Armalite double lapped barrel is no slouch in its own right. Here is a group with a 20 inch one at 100 yards.post-13300-0-87810000-1416881887_thumb.j Edited by Sisco

That's it??

I think Armalite may have miscalculated. On one hand they introduced a new line of discount Armalite AR's with "A" model magazines in the DSR. At the same time they liquidated their "B" model stock at huge discounts through a second party (see CDNN). Since the last Obama induced buying craze, the market for modern sporting rifles is saturated for the time being. Add closeout "B" models to this, and the market gets smaller still. Long story short: because of these factors I haven't heard of any one who has purchased one yet, so nobody really has first hand experience. Hopefully there is a forum member out there who can enlighten us with some first hand reports on the Defensive Sporting Rifle.

I think Armalite may have miscalculated. On one hand they introduced a new line of discount Armalite AR's with "A" model magazines in the DSR. At the same time they liquidated their "B" model stock at huge discounts through a second party (see CDNN). Since the last Obama induced buying craze, the market for modern sporting rifles is saturated for the time being. Add closeout "B" models to this, and the market gets smaller still. Long story short: because of these factors I haven't heard of any one who has purchased one yet, so nobody really has first hand experience. Hopefully there is a forum member out there who can enlighten us with some first hand reports on the Defensive Sporting Rifle.

Well if I knew the basic rifle (the DSR) was the same, ie: same receivers, same BCG, same barrel...I'd buy one in a heartbeat just to have a '10 with Pmags. I have 2 B models and I think 25-30 20 rnd mags, but still would like the option. They were clever enough to not allow B uppers to fit the A lowers.

Thanks for the response.

Edited by sfoxwell

Well if I knew the basic rifle (the DSR) was the same, ie: same receivers, same BCG, same barrel...I'd buy one in a heartbeat just to have a '10 with Pmags. I have 2 B models and I think 25-30 20 rnd mags, but still would like the option. They were clever enough to not allow B uppers to fit the A lowers.

Thanks for the response.

With that size magazine inventory, with all due respect, I think I would build another B model with all the great deals on them right now, unless you are planning to sell it. I have 18 gen II mags, and that is all I will ever need. You can get a carbine or rifle, your choice color, for $999. They did have four Super SASS for $1899 each, but sold those out already.

• 8 months later...

I just purchased an Armalite brand rifle at the LGS. It was marked and priced as a used DSR 10. I looked it over and decided to buy it as it was well fitted and th Real AR-10! I checked it over more closely at home. I found a 2 stage trigger and squared base for magwell. I contacted Armalite by e-mail and sure enough I have a used AR -10A4 CBF. Made in 2011. I need to use the Armalite brand mags, but it is a really nice rifle. I can't wait to spend a bit of range time with it. All for sub $800.00. I am pleasedso so far. MK

I've got the rifle length version from the same year, OUTSTANDING RIFLE! You got a great deal if it is in good order. P-mags are nice because they are cheap and everywhere but those B-mags for the AR-10 are built tough! I wouldn't be surprised if they don't start selling at a discount soon with very few B models being sold now. Watch CDNN for sales;

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html?brand=1351