• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

$&^(& Prvi Pritizen

planeflyer21

Had a MONGO jam at the range yesterday.  One of the 170gr FMJ Prvi rounds shed a primer, which then went up ABOVE the bolt carrier on Liberty.

Close the stock, SLAM on the ground multiple times until the live round cleared the chamber.  That left the BC in a partially rearward position. 

Fortunately MikeDaddy had a screwdriver and I was able to use it as a punch, to knock the BCG forward.  Removed the upper and STILL had trouble moving the BCG but when it did move, that squashed flat primer fell right out.

That makes about 15 of these that have shed primers so far, out of a case of 1,000.

In the past, I had fantastic luck with PPU match ammo, in both 5.56 and .308 Win.  I've used the 69gr OTM and 77gr OTM for the 5.56 rifles, and damn is that stuff accurate!  Same with 168gr OTM and 175gr OTM for .308 Win - accurate!

However, lately, I've been having problems reloading the 5.56 cases.  I stopped using them to make 300BLK brass, because the bases bulge.  Easy to see after them come out of resizing.  No more cut down PPU for 300BLK. 

Well, before this range trip, I loaded up about 500 rounds of 55gr range ammo (mixed .223 Rem brass, CCI 400 primers, 25.3 gr H335 and Hornady 55grain FMJBT projos).  Great load.  Stuck a PPU case in the RCBS full-length sizing die.  STUCK that bastard, good.  Bulged base, and the full-length die didn't agree with each other. 

The rest of the PPU .223 Rem cases that I have, I'll watch closely. If they're anywhere near tight in the die, they're going in the trash.  This is only the 2nd or 3rd loading on most of them.

Edited by 98Z5V

I use Prvi bullets I get at Dillion's the 69gr 223 and the. 168gr 308 bullets. They work great.

PPU is one of my favorite plinker rounds and the brass is very good for reloading. No problems yet.

Jon's primer jamb was weird ,the primer jumped up to the track in the upper receiver where the charging handle slides.