• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

case gage and comparator

Cali_Ed

with running my hornady bullets I noticed I had to raise the ram up twice to get to the correct depth. Seem right?

To seat to the correct depth, you had to raise it twice?  Was this with making seating depth changes, by screwing in the seater plug more?  Or, no changes made, and it wouldn't seat fully the first time, so you had to seat it again?

If it's the latter, that's not right...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with running my hornady bullets I noticed I had to raise the ram up twice to get to the correct depth. Seem right? 

Did you have a compressed load of Powder ? Compressed Powder loads can make some Bullets hard to seat & may take multiple seating presses.

What powder are you loading & what charge ? What Hornady Bullet ?
Edited by survivalshop

I didn't hear one but I didn't have my ear next to the press. I'll have to listen for it next time. So if it takes two safe to say the loads to high even tho the peak is 49?

But! I had to apply a little more pressure then normal

Edited by Cali_Ed

You can tell if its going to be a compressed load ( or close ) just by looking in the case after charging & I have pulled bullets from compressed loads & the bases sometimes have powder on them .

Mark the level of the powder ,outside of a powder charged case & hold the bullet next to it at the level it would be seated at & you can tell if it is going to be compressed.

Is this a max loading for this powder bullet combo ?

Never start at the Powders max charge wt., unless you like living on the edge . Different manufactures brass will most likely have different case volumes & what may be a safe load in one may not be in another . It also applies to a charge being compressed in one manufactures case & may not be , in another . 

For some reason I can edit it my message above but, it was a max load for the 150grn sp from the alliant wensite

But there also is a charge max of 43.5 for the 155grn fmjbt

would that be the same and a minimum c.o.l of 2.775..... good grief may have to pull those 20 loads I made booo would the 150 and 155fmjbt be thrown in the same group

Edited by Cali_Ed

From Danes load I may be ok, just need to back the projo of a bit

I made I batch of 308 loads with Hornady 150gr FMJBT w/cann, CCI 200 primers and 46.5gr of Imr 4064 powder @ 2.788" to 2.795" .

I also made a box of 50 Sierra 80grhpbt 1-7" twist 223 bullets with5 different powder amounts and CCI BBR4 primers @ mag length coal.

From Danes load I may be ok, just need to back the projo of a bit

Different powder - don't screw yourself by thinking you're okay, based off someone else's powder charge with a different powder.

You'll lose an eye...

Edited by 98Z5V

I suppose I'll have to contact alliant then. Because the data I got was from the sp round not the fmjbt because they didn't show it for the 150gn. They did have a 155 bthp but idk if that's comparable

308 Win Speer 150 gr SP IMI 2.7 22 CCI 200 Reloder 15 49 2,919

Edited by Cali_Ed

Did you have a compressed load of Powder ? Compressed Powder loads can make some Bullets hard to seat & may take multiple seating presses.

What powder are you loading & what charge ? What Hornady Bullet ?

Reloaded 15, hornady 150fmjbt, not sure what a compressed powder would be unless that means I pressed it down with something which not the case.

I didn't hear one but I didn't have my ear next to the press. I'll have to listen for it next time. So if it takes two safe to say the loads to high even tho the peak is 49?

But! I had to apply a little more pressure then normal

For some reason I can edit it my message above but, it was a max load for the 150grn sp from the alliant wensite

Son, you are NOT shooting a fucking Speer 150gr Soft Point bullet.

You need to learn more about reading reloading data, or you're gonna blow yourself up.  I $hit you not.

Well I'm a fn idiot lol, I forgot I took a picture of the hornady load book for this projo. As always thanks brother 98 color code works ;)

Max charge using rl15 is 47.2!!!

Which my max load I loaded was 47.1 just need to make some lower loads to complete the minimum to maximum load which I may hold of on and pull the load depending on pressure signs. Ah fack it gonna re do that whole batch.

I'm usually pretty strict on what I do and read, had a brain fart. Glad I held of shooting those from gut feeling. Thanks for the scolding brother 98

Edited by Cali_Ed

You need to slow down a little on the reloading operations, and read the reloading books that you have available.  Buy several manufacturer's reloading manuals, and read the beginning chapters - the steps of reloading.

You're gonna be an organ donor in no time, if you don't heed that advice.

I like you, man, despite what you might think - but you're your own timebomb right now... 

I'm usually pretty strict on what I do and read, had a brain fart. Glad I held of shooting those from gut feeling. Somwtimes i feel like im asking dumb qusstions ect, but i rather get my ass handed to me here than at the range. Thanks for the scolding brother 98!!! I will slow it down a bit and quadruple check poop

Edited by Cali_Ed

I think you're trying to go too fast, man.  Too much at one time.  If the max published load on those Speer 150gr softpoints was 49.0 grains, you shouldn't have been loading to max load in the first place.  Wrong projectiles, #1...  anyway...

No matter how much I like seeing Shibi's mashed-a$s thumb, I don't want to see you posting pictures like this...

img_1304-tfb.jpeg

You're a new reloader.  Slow down, man...  Load some minimum loads, and go shoot them...  See how they do...