• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

JP Enterprise Supermatch Barrel

Twogun45

Hi,

I'm considering a JP Enterprise Supermatch barrel, 22" medium contour with the Enhanced Bolt.  Would anyone here have any experience with those barrels in .308, and if so, how do you like it?  If you were going to do it over again, would you stay with that barrel or pick a different one?

I've also seen some mixed results posted on their low mass bolt carrier.  I assume that those have to be tuned via an adjustable gas block.  I do know that a forward assist is non functional with those.  I suppose I'd rather stay with the full mass bolt carrier unless someone can give a really compelling reason for using one.

I'm new here and have see something about a rule, when asking about previous experience with brands, parts or rifles.  I'm not really sure what that is, so pardon me if I'm violating it.

Gillette, WY, Windy and free.

Hi,

I'm considering a JP Enterprise Supermatch barrel, 22" medium contour with the Enhanced Bolt.  Would anyone here have any experience with those barrels in .308, and if so, how do you like it?  If you were going to do it over again, would you stay with that barrel or pick a different one?

I've also seen some mixed results posted on their low mass bolt carrier.  I assume that those have to be tuned via an adjustable gas block.  I do know that a forward assist is non functional with those.  I suppose I'd rather stay with the full mass bolt carrier unless someone can give a really compelling reason for using one.

I'm new here and have see something about a rule, when asking about previous experience with brands, parts or rifles.  I'm not really sure what that is, so pardon me if I'm violating it.

Gillette, WY, Windy and free.

IIRC a couple folks here have JP barrels and like them. Hopefully they drop in soon.

I'd avoid the LMOS carrier unless you're building a system specifically tuned for it (including adjustable gas block). 

"The Rule" states that if you ask about a product for more info and nobody has experience with it, you have to buy it and then report back about it. We've been known to be lenient with newer members though :).

Edited by FaRKle!

FaRKel,I've attempted to research the barrel and can't seem to find a negative comment or review.  And JP Enterprise rifles have a strong following and excellent reputation as far as I can tell.  Unless something really jumps out at me on the LMOS, I'll stick with the full mass bolt carrier.  I've built just three AR15's, this will be my first AR308.  I'm at a point in my life where I've committed to buying, building or using only upper end firearms.  That wasn't always the case but as my taste expanded and my pocketbook got a bit fatter I've decided that there is no point for me to purchase or build run of the mill firearms.  Though I've a got a few of them I wouldn't ever part with.

unforgiven, thanks for the welcome, I've lived in WY for the last five and half years, lived in the middle on SD on a working cattle ranch that my in laws owned, (had my own private hunting preserver back then) and before that lived in TX where I grew up.  Texas may always be home for me, but I love Wyoming and the mountains.  I also love the 6 minute commute to work!

I cant speak for the barrel, but i do have a JP low mass carrier with an adjustable gas block. I like it.

Also the FA on a 308 actually pushes on the back corner of the carrier, not on the serrations like an ar-15 carrier.  So it does work with a JP carrier if that is one of your concerns.

I guess what I read on their website indicated that the FA was non functional if you used the low mass carrier.  But that was not really the concern, only a few posts where guys had purchased them and ended up buying a full mass bolt carrier due to improper function.  I don't know if it was really a problem with the carrier or perhaps they simply didn't use an adjustable gas block or didn't tune it properly.  While I do plan on using their adjustable gas block, I'm not 100% sold one way or the other between a low mass or a full mass carrier.  I want something I can setup and forget with complete reliability.  Or at least as complete as it gets.

• 1 month later...

I'm now torn between the JP Enterprise setup and one from Precision Firearms.  The cost between the two is pretty close.  The barrel, BCG, adjustable gas block, are going to be about $1100.  The JP Enterprise offering includes a muzzle device, (I can choose from several with no additional charge) but the Precision Firearms does not.  However that is not all bad as there is a different muzzle device I might go with anyway.  Both companies have extremely good reputations for products and service.  I probably won't go wrong with either one.  The Precision Firearms barrels however have a 6-8 week lead time while JP Enterprise says 1-2 weeks.  I'm not in a particular hurry so that's not much of a factor.

One thing that got my attention is that the JP Enterprise barrels are cryogenically treated.  Now I've heard both good and bad about the process.  JP Rifles claims that this process extends barrel life and first cold shot accuracy.  Nothing of this treatment is mentioned on the Precision Firearms website.  

Anymore thoughts on this?  Both the cryogenic treated barrels and the two makers?

I don't have any particular experience with JP barrels, but I do know a little about metallurgy.  Cryo can be great, depending on the steel and the equipment and skill of the people doing the heat treat.  I would expect JP to do a good job with both.  The short version is that, depending on what was done to the steel in the shaping and pre-heat treat process, it may have work-related stresses, and cryo treatment can normalize that, lead to finer carbide development, and thus more wear resistance (read, barrel life).  If the company is reputable, and I daresay JP is, and does a good job with their heat and cryo treatments, it's likely a benefit.  How substantial a benefit may remain open to interpretation, but all other things being equal, a cryo-treated barrel is likely to be a better one.  That, of course, requires all other things to be equal, and to have a steel that can really benefit from cryo-treatment, and the heat and cryo treatment to be done well.

-edit-  I think JP uses 416R, and that's not a particularly complex steel, so it may not benefit much from cryo.  I think Shilen has research to indicate the same, and you'll note from the manufacturer's spec sheet that cryo isn't indicated to maximize performance.  It won't hurt it, but it's not necessary.

https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/stainless/cru416rs.html

Other steels can benefit quite a bit, however, and some, like my personal favorite cutlery steel (CPM 3V) actually require a cryogenic plate quench.

Edited by crimsonfalcon07

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have any particular experience with JP barrels, but I do know a little about metallurgy.  Cryo can be great, depending on the steel and the equipment and skill of the people doing the heat treat.  I would expect JP to do a good job with both.  The short version is that, depending on what was done to the steel in the shaping and pre-heat treat process, it may have work-related stresses, and cryo treatment can normalize that, lead to finer carbide development, and thus more wear resistance (read, barrel life).  If the company is reputable, and I daresay JP is, and does a good job with their heat and cryo treatments, it's likely a benefit.  How substantial a benefit may remain open to interpretation, but all other things being equal, a cryo-treated barrel is likely to be a better one.  That, of course, requires all other things to be equal, and to have a steel that can really benefit from cryo-treatment, and the heat and cryo treatment to be done well.

-edit-  I think JP uses 416R, and that's not a particularly complex steel, so it may not benefit much from cryo.  I think Shilen has research to indicate the same, and you'll note from the manufacturer's spec sheet that cryo isn't indicated to maximize performance.  It won't hurt it, but it's not necessary.

https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/stainless/cru416rs.html

Other steels can benefit quite a bit, however, and some, like my personal favorite cutlery steel (CPM 3V) actually require a cryogenic plate quench.

Someone should pin this, or @ least a thread about this, I've seen A LOT of confusion on cryo treating barrels out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had one JP barrel, although it was in 5.56 in a CTR02. In short, it was all it was rumored to be. The first owner ran it hard with mostly Wolf ammo, and wouldn't even guess at the round count when he sold it. I know him well, and he shoots a lot. I put a 1-4x on it for 3 gun use, but ended up shooting it to 600+ a number of times. It did great at that range, even with the low powered optics. I ran thousands of rounds through it, and when I sold it it would still hold 2" groups at 100 with good ammo. I'd love to know the round count on that barrel.

I've shot several JP.308's that belong to friends. None have regretted their choice.

I'm now torn between the JP Enterprise setup and one from Precision Firearms...

Precision Firearms is a top-quality organization.  You cannot go wrong with them, and if they say one of their products is "x" or "y", then it really is.  <thumbsup>