• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrels

Spaniky73

I believe the DPMS AR & AR 10  are about the same , because some are using the barrels in ether platform they just have different threads on the Barrel nuts for the two different platforms . The relationship of the Lar 8 's locking lugs , no idea how they would mate up to the other two & I think the BCG of the LAR 8 is longer , but someone who owns or has owned one will have to say for sure .

LAR 8 BCG is longer.  Confirmed, by the longass charging handles, that are longer than DPMS and AR10 chargers handles (Same length for those two, and interchangeable).

Something with the locking lugs and barrel extensions is different between the DPMS and AR10 stuff.  Don't mix-n-match a DPMS bolt with an AR10 barrel - and the opposite.  DPMS bolts will fit in the AR10 bolt carrier, and the AR10 bolts will fit in the DPMS carrier - so the bolt carriers are very, very similar, and will function in either platform.  The bolt carriers.  Not the bolts and barrel extensions. Match your BOLT and barrel extension (your barrel "brand").

Is that the perfect world?  Nope.  Can you run an AR10 barrel and complete bolt carrier group in your DPMS-based rifle (upper and lower receivers)?  Hell yeah.  And the opposite.

RRA is the "weird AR..."   <lmao>

Only thing you can interchange in that bastard is Bushmaster BAR10 stuff...  :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

Found this on the JP rifles website -

"JP Supermatch™ barrels in .308 Winchester/ 7.62x51 or .260 Remington are compatible with most AR-10 platforms except the Rock River LAR-8 or Bushmaster BAR-10. Due to the use of an FAL magazine, the extension piece on the barrels used in those rifles must be extensively modified to allow for feeding. Therefore, JP .308 and .260 barrels are not compatible with the RRA or BM rifles. However, our barrels may be modified to work with the LAR-8 or Bushmaster BAR-10 rifles."

Anyone know what modifications are required?

"The feed ramp on those rifles is different and the AR10/LR308 barrels with the double feed ramps won’t feed from your magazines.  You need to modify the feed ramp to be like your existing barrel. 

Dave Cammack

Engineering, Technical Support & Quality Control

JP Enterprises, Inc"

Got my answer

After  carefull checking, I installed a DPMS 260 rem bbl on a RRA lar8 upper with NO problems!

Headspace checked out, and metal mags took about 6 strokes with a fine file to make work!   Got @200 rounds downrange now, with NO problems!

Respectfully

Terry

Thought I remembered someone switching out a barrel.

No issue with the RRA bolt/barrel extension?

Edited by planeflyer21

So I just found out that the locking lugs on AR 10 and DPMS barrels are the same as an RRA. So a RRA bolt SHOULD mate up with any aftermarket barrel. You just have to work the feed ramp. Now I need to find a barrel I like and get the funds together.

Edited by Spaniky73

So I just found out that the locking lugs on AR 10 and DPMS barrels are the same as an RRA. So a RRA bolt SHOULD mate up with any aftermarket barrel. You just have to work the feed ramp. Now I need to find a barrel I like and get the funds together.

Boy that ain't gonna stop RRA from yelling about their disclaimer "It may measure EXACTLY the same but it isn't! Don't mix and match!  Buy only RRA!"

• 1 year later...