• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My Aero Enhanced 308 build

dpete

Yes I know its missing a few pieces but at least I know the rest is on the way from Aero Precision.  The heart of the rifle will be an Aero 308 lower, the M5E1 upper receiver/keymod handguard, their 308 NiB BCG, and 308 LPK.  I hope to see the rest of the parts come in this next week.  The barrel is the 18.5", .308 AR, Light Weight, 1X10 twist, chrome lined, match quality, by Criterion sold by Fulton Armory, with a Bully Brake from Overkill Customs on the end.  20 round Pmags and 5 round ASCs for hunting. 

I've been reading as much as I can find in preparation for building this rifle and after reading about checking headspace I have a question about checking it on this barrel.  On Fulton Armory's site they call the chamber a hybrid. "Our Hybrid Match Chamber allows use of .308 Win & 7.62x51 mm NATO Calibers"       http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185lwcm1x10750gasblockchrome-lined.aspx

I know both .308 and 7.62 headspace guages exist.  Which one would give an accurate indication of proper headspace?   I only intend on using commecial brass/bullet handloads in it and not wanting to risk anything I thought I'de ask those with way more knowledge than I have.

post-15451-0-99974400-1425220176_thumb.j

For now I'm staying with the trigger in Aero's LPK.  I've read reports its better than the usual milspec triggers in ARs, which I have gotten used to.  I already have a Nikon 3X9X50 scope waiting for its new home to be finished.  Hopefully I can get an answer on headspacing the bolt to the barrel.

For now I'm staying with the trigger in Aero's LPK. I've read reports its better than the usual milspec triggers in ARs, which I have gotten used to. I already have a Nikon 3X9X50 scope waiting for its new home to be finished. Hopefully I can get an answer on headspacing the bolt to the barrel.

dpete, on the trigger I have the Aero complete lower (M5) with the stock trigger and it is very nice, mine is any way. I know there are better after market triggers but I am happy with my stock trigger. I have a 6.8 with a mil spec trigger and my son has a dpms 308 as well. Aero trigger is better on these three rifles by far. Looking forward in seeing yours put together.

Some more parts came in today and since I am still waiting for the lower and gas block to complete things I took some weights of the pieces I have.  The Aero parts are noted.

Weights so far:

Barrel = 2# 8oz          Criterion 18.5" lightweight profile from Fulton Armory

Brake and washer = 4oz      Bully Brake from Overkill Customs here in WI

Upper & barrel nut = 1# 3oz   1st part of Aero enhanced upper combo

15" keymod handguard = 9 oz  2nd part of Aero enhanced upper combo

BCG = 1# 6oz   Aero NiB

Stock, spring, buffer, & RE = 1# 3oz

Pistol grip = 3oz

LPK = 4oz   Aero 308 LPK

Total of these parts = 6# 12oz

Right now I can't remember if the charge handle was in the upper when I weighed it so the total might be a tad heavier by a few ounces.  Even if the lower and gas block amount to 2# total I'll be looking at around 9# total for the bare rifle.  Add in about 1 1/2# for scope, mount, sling, and swivel rings it will be pushing 11# or so I think.  How close am I?

• 2 weeks later...

ITS FINALLY DONE!

After waiting almost 3 weeks for Aero to get the lower and gas block back in stock they came in today and she is done.  Total weight as seen here is 10lbs 2oz with an empty mag.  Its bathed inside with CLP right now and I've worked the action by hand and ejected an empty shell and loaded a dummy round after it.  Ejecting the empty and dummy went just fine.  I had the bolt/chamber headspaced today and the gunsmith said he rarely sees chambers and bolts that well matched.  As he put it a zero, not + or - anything.  So far so good and now I wait for decent weather to get out and shoot it.  In the meantime how much should I work the action by hand?

post-15451-0-87308900-1426824303_thumb.j

post-15451-0-94738000-1426824329_thumb.j

post-15451-0-22657400-1426824356_thumb.j

post-15451-0-42515000-1426824379_thumb.j

Thanks!  I hesitated about the price too at first, until I priced out what the separate similar parts would cost.  I think it came out to allowing about $100 or so for the 15" hand guard I used.  The simpler barrel nut and rock solid connection between the hand guard and upper sold it for me.

In the meantime how much should I work the action by hand?

I wouldn't even bother - just lube it up real well and shoot a few hundred through it.  It'll be good after that.  Probably won't even take that much.

• 3 weeks later...