• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

high pressure signs?

Cali_Ed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the other tips, make sure to double check your oal on the loaded round, remember the ogive of different bullet shapes of the same weight can still contact the rifling if not set correctly for the bullet type.

How are you crimping? And are you crimping? Are your cases trimmed and trimmed equally?

I always crimp rifle round separately from seating.

Edited by AngelDeVille

Aside from the other tips, make sure to double check your oal on the loaded round, remember the ogive of different bullet shapes of the same weight can still contact the rifling if not set correctly for the bullet type.

How are you crimping? And are you crimping? Are your cases trimmed and trimmed equally?

I always crimp rifle round separately from seating.

I always check oal of every round, trimmed case to proper length, and I give a slight clip nothing agressive. Read somewhere around here it didn't need much of a crimp. But I crimp all together with the seating

Only thing I can possibley think of is ehat I said earlier of the cases being over reamed and when the primer ignited instead of shooting everything forward some came back out the primer pocket. I'll try to prime some un reamed case and hopefully it works out if not I'll be reporting back. Thanks for your time guys. I just don't know why with my match brass the primers won't go in

OK, lets think,

Firing once should loosen the PP, not tighten it.  two,   Federal primers are smaller than most of the others so, the should seat easier..three, primers "clipping" the edge of the PP says, to me, that maybe something is out of alingnment in the primer tool.  Dosen't make any difference WHO made the primer tool, it could still be out of spec.

Do you have any other way of priming a few cases to check things out?  I'v seen similar things with out of spec primer tools.

Respectfully

Terry

OH!  CCi are the largest in diameter out there, with Winhester and remington  are probably  tied as the smallest.

Edited by Tripledeuce

Firing once should loosen the PP, not tighten it.  two,   Federal primers are smaller than most of the others so, the should seat easier..three, primers "clipping" the edge of the PP says, to me, that maybe something is out of alingnment in the primer tool.  Dosen't make any difference WHO made the primer tool, it could still be out of spec.

I'm betting this is the problem.  Dump the priming tool.  You are using good brass and primers, and it doesn't sound like a problem with case sizing. (I also like the idea of seating and crimping in two operations, but that's another issue).  Sounds to me that the primers are not properly aligned, or they are actually going in a bit of an angle.  A deformed primer could certainly lead to a blown out primer.

Was this loaded ammo or was the brass bought as empty Cases ? As was said already , if you had a damaged primer seated & didn't notice it , it could blow out also . 

Use other brass until you get a primer pocket swaging tool . Since you had trouble seating primers with the one on your press , I'm betting on, its the brass.

When I asked if the  brass was sized correctly , doesn't matter what if FL or SB , it still has to be set correctly or it can cause problems .  You powder charge may be on the edge of being too excessive & some brass will take it & some won't . 

And what did you use to ream the PP ?

I sometimes use my RCBS de-burring tool to lightly de-burr the crimp . I have had some brass that would still be hard to seat the primer , even after swaging the PP & its the only way I have found to keep from damaging primers . I have the old small tool that has one end for the inside & the other end for the outside .

Edited by survivalshop

Its possible the Match loaded ammo may have a Primer crimp & the FC brass also , I have some that had a Crimp . Might be the whole priming problem you are having . You can definitely over ream a primer pocket or the brass you use for working up loads , gets a good working out , as far as the brass is concerned . I keep my work up brass separate , because of how its used.It only takes one high pressure firing to make the primer pocket useless for further reloading .

Fired brass was never meant to be reloaded , it is us reloaders who milk it for more use . Its why I started to Anneal my brass after every firing , before resizing for loading . 

Going to have to look into amazing

Here you go Ed;

a·maze

(ə-māz′)

v. a·mazed, a·maz·ing, a·maz·es
v.tr.
1. To affect with great wonder; astonish. See Synonyms at surprise.
2. Obsolete To bewilder; perplex.
v.intr.
To cause great wonder or astonishment: a sight that amazes.
n.
Amazement; wonder.
[From Middle English masen, to bewilder, and from amased, bewildered (from Old English āmasod), both from Old English āmasian, to bewilder : ā-, intensive pref. + *masian, to confuse.]
a·maz′ed·ly (ə-mā′zĭd-lē) adv.
a·maz′ed·ness n.
<laughs> <lmao>