• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

high pressure signs?

Cali_Ed

So here is this first pic of the first case I had some significant feed back once it was fired. Very smokey, lots of smoke exiting the rifle from the dust cover side.

Case on the top left. The rest of the cases in that group were fine.

20150302_102626_zpsigzlw3om.jpg

The second pictures I'll show you guys had a flattend out primer, but the rest from what I see in that same group where fine and even the next charge up were perfectley fine.

2015-03-02_10.28.09_zpswovpcztw.jpg

My process when dropping a charge into a case is to immediately cover it with and upside down projo and move it to another spot in order to avoid double charges.

Another thing I noticed was that in a certain direction on the bottom rim of the case there was a shiny spot like if maybe gasses escaped in that direction. Idk if you can tell in the second picture. Are these cases conpremised?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure i know something went wrong with the one on the first picture, the primer was still there the day off must have fell out during transport. im thinking i maybe over reamed the pocket and couldnt contain the pressures so it kinda busted?

Two thoughts.

One, you over reamed the cases.  I NEVER ream cases, I swedge them, when necessary.

Two, a few kernals of powder hung up in the powder measure, and dropped with the next charge.

Respectfully

Terry

I just noticed you are using Hornaday match brass.  That should not need PP reaming.   Second, How often do you check  the weight of the powder dropped from your measure?

Edited by Tripledeuce

I agree with Tripledeuce .  I see another with a flattened primer , sure sign of OP . The ejector swipes on the bottom of the case with the arrow pointing at it ,is another one .  Most look OK , though . 

How often are you check weighing you charge , while charging cases ? What scale are you using .

The only time I mess with primer pockets is crimped military brass.  I swage them with the RCBS Swager 2 setup, and never have to mess with them again. 

I saw that blown primer in the first pic - that thing is BLOWN the fuk out! - and wondered why you were worried about that piece of brass in the second pic.  My concern would have been that blown primer piece of brass, brother. 

In that second pic, that primer is flat as hell.  That's an overpressure sign, as well as pierced primers, cratered primers, bulged case bases, ejector swipes, ripped rims from extractors...

Edited by 98Z5V

I tried putting primers in with out doing anything and they won't go in or its very tough to get it in,

Lube the two contact points on your hand priming tool, man.  There's only two contact points between the lever and the ram - hit those with a dab of grease.  It'll make priming a TON easier.  Something I picked up on in one of your previous posts, but forgot to mention.  Something about "two clicks" and your primer seats - that's resistance on the priming linkage making that noise, and it's wearing out your hand priming tool.

See if that helps with these.  Worth a shot.

Two thoughts.

One, you over reamed the cases.  I NEVER ream cases, I swedge them, when necessary.

Two, a few kernals of powder hung up in the powder measure, and dropped with the next charge.

Respectfully

Terry

I just noticed you are using Hornaday match brass.  That should not need PP reaming.   Second, How often do you check  the weight of the powder dropped from your measure?

I thought that my self about not needing anything done to the primer pocket but like I said they won't go in with out difficulty or just get smashed.

I check every single charge I never take the powder measure word for it.

Once I verify that my measure is dropping the same thing everytime, I'll weigh every 4th or 8th drop after that.  If I'm making precision ammo, I'll weigh every one to make sure they're the same.  Kinda depends on what I'm loading.  Once the shell holder is full, and I'm about to seat the projectiles, I'll visually check the whole tray with a small lamp (leaning over the thing), and make sure everything looks damn near the same. 

You'll have a very hard time double-charging a .308 Win case, or a 5.56/.223 Rem case - they just won't hold a double charge.

You should not be having problems( as was said ) with the Hornady brass , something is not right with your priming tool or the Brass .What primers are you using ?  Do you have the capability to prime on your press ?

You will find that every Barrels Chamber is different & a load in the manual may not show High Pressure signs in one chamber & another it will , shows your working on the edge , just some of your brass is showing it & some not . May just be the condition of the Chamber at the time that case was chambered & fired. 

I would reduce the charge a little & toss any brass that spits out the primer .

Ed was this 1x brass or did it have more than two loadings on it.

I have observed that using full power loads only works well on new and 1x brass. 2x and all subsequent loading should be used as plinker ammo, so if the primers blow it happens at the range with your buddy's their to help you get the primers out of your trigger group !