• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Installing a barrel extension

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can get an 18" American made stainless steel barrel in E-bay for $190; shipping included. Chrome-molly for less. Just saying.

It is not the type of barrel need though. I need a barrel without a gas port drilled and that is considered a special order item. Either way I look at it I am going to be paying 250+ for a barrel. By having the extension put on my barrel I get the profile of the barrel I want without the gas port in the length I want.

It shouldn't be too much longer on the machining. A friend of his just replaced an AR 308 barrel and only wanted the barrel extension, so my gunsmith has an example that he can reference when machining mine.

Edited by dsdmmat

• 2 months later...

Still waiting on the barrel to be done. I am going on an all expenses paid vacation to the armpit of the world so hopefully it will be done when I get back. I have all the parts except the barrel. I even went out and bought an Aero lower for the project last week. It was 190 bucks at the gunshow so I said, "what the hell?" I am thinking I will probably have a slot milled in the upper and thread a bolt into the bolt carrier for it to be a side charger. I have a couple of white oak uppers that are configured this way and it is really nice to have a side pull on a bolt action AR. Anyway the wait continues.

• 1 month later...

Well the good news is my vacation has been canceled and the bad news is I am still waiting. Not really bad news but the project is on hold until my barrel is finished. Which leads me to build other projects while I am waiting. I have built a 300 AAC blackout upper and have been playing around with it at the range. I have mounted a red dot sight on it and have been running 110 grain Vmax over IMR 4227 and pinging an 8x12 steel swinger plate at 200 yards with it. It is a fun little gun while I wait for my barrel to be finished.  

• 2 months later...

Update:

the bad news is my REM 700 donor barrel will not have enough meat in the shank after we shorten it up to the proper length to chamber it in 308 Winchester. The good news is my AR15 in 17 Remington is proceeding we cut the threads for the barrel extension today. 

I will just put the straight pull bolt action AR308 on hold and build a semi auto since all I need now is a barrel, gas block, muzzle brake and gas tube. If I can find a heavy barrel chambered in 308 for a donor I will proceed with a straight pull upper for one of my AR308s.