• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Brass sizing issue...

match308

Can't get it to chamber. Using a Schuyler BCG wich is supposedly mil spec. Cleaned the chamber, but no love. The rounds I'm ring are dummies built with Lapua and LC brass that chamber fine in my Rem 700 custom. Is there a recommended bolt to use with her?

What's the bolt you currently have?

Can't get it to chamber. Using a Schuyler BCG wich is supposedly mil spec.

There are no military specifications for 308 ARs, like there are for M16s and M4s.  The material might be the same as spec'd for the smaller rifles, though. 

Looks like my Redding FL s type bushing die wasn't sizing low enough. Went to Cabelas and bought a R CBS small base die and it seems to have improved. At least the bolt will now close on the round. It still is very difficult to pull back on the CH to eject it.

Tested Lapua once fired in a Match 308 chamber and LC MG brass. Turns out at max depth in my Dillon 650, the die wasn't getting down far enough on the case. I switched over to a rockchucker and took the base of the die down to kiss the shell holder and now it chambers nicely. Ejecting is still best done with a gloved hand. The Mega barrel is nice and tight. I expect ejection to ease after I get the parts to mesh and wear.

Headspace was checked and gtg.

Can one of the Mods change the thread title, now?

Thanks, to the one who did the deed - I don't want that searchable through the interwebz, that this company is producing tight chambers - if they're not producing tight chambers.  i didn't suspect that they were, and would be shocked if they did.

OP, glad it's resolved.  <thumbsup>

Have you tried a slight amount of cam over on the 650 , to tighten what little play there is in the Dillon ? I set my other dies after the Sizer is set , as said . I don't think my 550 shell plate is much different then your 650 , but you never know , the 650 is larger .

The tightness on extraction may be just a case of good tight tolerances & the Components need to have some happy time on the range .  <thumbsup>

SS the OP said some of the brass was LC MACHINE GUN RANGE BRASS !

That is most of the problem. He did not state he ever used new factory brass.

The gun does need to be broken in , given !

Just sizing MG brass can be a PITA somethimes , if the base is swollen{like Glock pistol brass}and is not fully shaped to the proper profile. This is the chambering problem.

The OP should buy a box of some good factory ammo to break in his gun.

I try to not use reloads when breaking a new gun in.

SS the OP said some of the brass was LC MACHINE GUN RANGE BRASS !

That is most of the problem. He did not state he ever used new factory brass.

The gun does need to be broken in , given !

Just sizing MG brass can be a PITA somethimes , if the base is swollen{like Glock pistol brass}and is not fully shaped to the proper profile. This is the chambering problem.

The OP should buy a box of some good factory ammo to break in his gun.

I try to not use reloads when breaking a new gun in.

LC Once fired Machine-gun brass is all I use any more & I don't have a problem with them . I use the same Sizer Die the OP is using. I don't use my SB RCBS die much any more ( very old ), unless I have a case that was sized before with a SB sizer die, because of case length after sizing , they are always shorter than " Trim to Length" spec , when sized with a FL Sizer Die.

His main problem was a problem being able to properly set the Sizing Die ( case Head spacing, shoulder set back  )  OP said he used different types of brass. The rifle Head Spaced OK , so the chamber is to spec's & shouldn't matter what brass is used as long as it is loaded correctly , to spec's .

As was said, the tight extraction should go away with fired round count increase  . 

[,quote name=survivalshop" post="142357" timestamp="1428065863]

LC Once fired Machine-gun brass is all I use any more & I don't have a problem with them . I use the same Sizer Die the OP is using. I don't use my SB RCBS die much any more ( very old ), unless I have a case that was sized before with a SB sizer die, because of case length after sizing , they are always shorter than " Trim to Length" spec , when sized with a FL Sizer Die.

His main problem was a problem being able to properly set the Sizing Die ( case Head spacing, shoulder set back  )  OP said he used different types of brass. The rifle Head Spaced OK , so the chamber is to spec's & shouldn't matter what brass is used as long as it is loaded correctly , to spec's .

As was said, the tight extraction should go away with fired round count increase  .

Lubed, shot it and it's a hammer. Less than 3/4 moa. And everything smoothed out. Shot some factory match 175s and it punctured the primer on each one. My hand loads with cci primers did great. No craters, flattening or punctures

YES!!!  AWESOME NEWS!

Factory Match ammo & it pierced the primers , Kinda hot ammo or the rifle needs a higher round count to settle in , to like it . <dontknow>

that would make me check the gas port size, and bring it up one increment in the drill index chart.  <thumbsup>