• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Got 99 problems......

LeatherNuts

And the bolt not going into full battery is one. Went to the range today and out of 100 rounds i had to rerack 90 of them. Headspace checked, dripping in lube, no visual issues. The only thing I'm noticing is that the bottom face of all the rounds have one hell of a wear mark from the extractor. Almost like its not opening enough to grab the lip of the shell, but just slamming into the bottom of it. Any thoughts before i find a professional?

Edited by LeatherNuts

Leather   when you assembled it...did you take and point the muzzle down and drop in the bcg?  it should almost go into battery ...

making sure the gas tube is aligned properly so its not interfering with the gas key itself.Did you take the bcg apart and service it before using? did you put one cartridge in a mag...fire it and did it lock back?      :) Wash

Edited by washguy

@Farkle - Happens regardless of number of rounds in the mag. Ares NiB bolt and carrier with stock extractor and spring. Extractor broke my plastic cleaning brush attempting to get it to move. It is ridiculously stiff.

@Dane - There is actually material missing from the lip of the shells. Magpul mags, one 20 and one 10. Pictures to follow. Normal scuff marks on the brass.

@Wash - Bolt gravity drops into battery very well, misses complete lock by maybe a 32nd of an inch. Gas tube isn't interfering. BCG was serviced prior, bolt locks to the rear on last round without fail.

As an update: I'm cleaning and I'm finding a lot of brass shavings the same relative size as the face of the extractor and when i pulled the bolt apart there were a lot of shavings under the extractor in the firing pin track. The extractor also has the rubber donut on the spring, is that normal for the 308 platform? I'm aware of why it was done for the M4,but not sure this weapon would have the same issues. In case I miss it later, thank you all for the support.

Edited by LeatherNuts

Leather   yep..it would have the doughnut/oring....you prolly found the problem...get the shavings out...try again to shoot

you got it narrowed down to the bolt/extractor is my guess...there was a post a while back bout the extractor tearing the cases up,,and if im not mistaken he put in another and solved the problem?   there was a machining problem on the extractor?   :) Wash

Fixed a couple of these by getting DPMS parts{ o-ring, extractor spring , pin}.

Quick fix pull out o-ring and see if it shoots.

You will need dental pick, tiny flat screwdriver, tiny bent needle nose pliers a couple of small punches ...And 3 hands. !

Might want to order parts first , spring may dissapear !

O-ring pulled hopefully I will be able to get to the range again soon, if not may try a "desk pop" in the backyard. On a positive note I do believe I found the most wasteful shooters on the planet. I decided to pick through the brass cans during target change since i wasn't shooting much,fired 100 rounds and returned with almost 400 empty 308 brass in less then 2 hours.

Well i broke it lol. Pulled the o-ring and the issue continued figured "hey why not pull the spring and try compressing it some?". Idiot, spring slipped got bent now it's crap. Will go to the smith tomorrow and pay for stupidity.

Leather....Where's your backup parts at??? ....geez   <lmao>   Wash

All i have are excuses. It's my first adventure with this platform and I haven't accrued extra parts yet, my dog ate my homework, the old lady made me do it, I was drunk on homemade shine, I swear I thought she was 18. Idk pick one.

Drop and give me 20    :)  Wash

Well i broke it lol. Pulled the o-ring and the issue continued figured "hey why not pull the spring and try compressing it some?". Idiot, spring slipped got bent now it's crap. Will go to the smith tomorrow and pay for stupidity.

It seems like I heard something about that before, I just can't put my finger on it....

Fixed a couple of these by getting DPMS parts{ o-ring, extractor spring , pin}.

Quick fix pull out o-ring and see if it shoots.

You will need dental pick, tiny flat screwdriver, tiny bent needle nose pliers a couple of small punches ...And 3 hands. !

Might want to order parts first , spring may dissapear !

Oh yeah that's right lol

Hey, it could be a good thing, though, maybe a new spring is just what you needed.  Hopefully, anyways.

Drop and give me 20    :)  Wash

Sheit no - he had TWO very valid excuses buried in there - either one is a winner...  <lmao>

I was drunk on homemade shine, I swear I thought she was 18. Idk pick one.

Those two can take it as a legitimate excuse, any day...  :hethan:

Threw an enhanced AR15 extractor spring in and the weapon hand cycles through a full mag. Will hopefully get back out to the range next week and give a report.

The AR 15 spring may work or you may get failure to Extract or Eject when fired with live ammo . The AR 15/16 Extractor springs are not made for the larger & heavier 308 AR Extractor . The 308AR Extractor & double spring assemble below is from a complete DPMS Bolt rebuild kit I opened up for Photo's , the small spring fit inside the larger one . Not sure if its done like that now , this kit is an old one  . You can see the size difference in Extractors & springs , of course .

post-11255-0-29509300-1428515984_thumb.j

Edited by survivalshop