• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

modifying JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring buffer for DPMS Gen 2 Hunter

1 minute ago, 6.5 Creed love said:

Right, and I appreciate your help. The rifle worked with the stock rifle length buffer 5oz and spring, although looking for ideas on how to make the silent capture spring work with it. The SCS is just a +$200 paperweight at this point. Reason I entered this post was for all the talk about the silent captured spring and if I could find any ideas based off of someone else's problem.

Stock rifle-length buffer weight is 5.4oz.  Not 5oz. That makes an operational difference, when all other things are "stock."  How you make that expensive JP Silent Captured Spring system work on your gun, when the other one worked - that's JP's problem.  Increase that buffer weight to 5.4 oz on the JP system, and make sure their spring matches the same spring dimensions/actions of your previous spring - that worked - and you're golden.  At this point, you need to ask JP what the answer is, and why their own system doesn't work - when your previous system did work.  JP needs to tell you, not us.  They made it.  Not us.

JP race gun parts falls into that "complicated shiit" category that I was talking about.  They make GREAT Race Guns.  But, you "complicated shiit with complicated shiit," and added Race Gun Parts to a normal rifle that's not a Race Gun.  I"m not insulting you in any way, but that's something like adding 110-octane race gas to your commuter car, and expecting it to perform differently. It's actually detrimental to it's performance, when it's designed to run on 87...  

42 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Stock rifle-length buffer weight is 5.4oz.  Not 5oz. That makes an operational difference, when all other things are "stock."  How you make that expensive JP Silent Captured Spring system work on your gun, when the other one worked - that's JP's problem.  Increase that buffer weight to 5.4 oz on the JP system, and make sure their spring matches the same spring dimensions/actions of your previous spring - that worked - and you're golden.  At this point, you need to ask JP what the answer is, and why their own system doesn't work - when your previous system did work.  JP needs to tell you, not us.  They made it.  Not us.

JP race gun parts falls into that "complicated shiit" category that I was talking about.  They make GREAT Race Guns.  But, you "complicated shiit with complicated shiit," and added Race Gun Parts to a normal rifle that's not a Race Gun.  I"m not insulting you in any way, but that's something like adding 110-octane race gas to your commuter car, and expecting it to perform differently. It's actually detrimental to it's performance, when it's designed to run on 87...  

I get that, every site I look at for info on buffers states:

• Rifle Buffer - A rifle buffer includes five steel weights and a steel spacer and totals around 5.0 oz. This buffer most used in a rifle-length buffer tube.
  • H3 Buffer - Similar to the H buffer and H2 buffer, the H3 buffer includes three tungsten weights and often weighs about 5.4 oz.
  • So I guess I'll wait for the third tungsten weight to show up and that should more or less act as an h3 buffer. At the 5.4 oz you stated. Thank you for your info.
Edited by 6.5 Creed love
Grammar

2 minutes ago, 6.5 Creed love said:

I get that, every site I look at for info on buffers states:

• Rifle Buffer - A rifle buffer includes five steel weights and a steel spacer and totals around 5.0 oz. This buffer most used in a rifle-length buffer tube.

I'd just love to know what sites you're looking at that tell you that the rifle buffer "totals around 5.0oz..."    That's BS, from the sites that you're gleaning that info from.  Just so you know.  Please list them, so we know what "informational sites" we know here, to mark as bad info...   :thumbup:

54 minutes ago, 6.5 Creed love said:

Right, and I appreciate your help. The rifle worked with the stock rifle length buffer 5oz and spring, although looking for ideas on how to make the silent capture spring work with it. The SCS is just a +$200 paperweight at this point. Reason I entered this post was for all the talk about the silent captured spring and if I could find any ideas based off of someone else's problem.

Time for story time with weird Uncle Matt! Way back when I first got tangled up with this group of lovable meat-heads, I gradually got more and more interested in specialized components, specifically a hydraulic buffer unit that lots of folks had various opinions about. So I started doing my research, and found that generally people who had them weren't impressed by them, and in a few cases caused malfunctions of the same type you've described. Against my better judgement, I bought one because I'm the type of knucklehead who likes to make his own assessment. I quickly learned that the hydraulic buffer unit was a useless POS for anything except installing for the purpose of sabotaging an otherwise useful AR.

Here's the moral of the story! When you're doing your research and there's not much feedback on the product, and the feedback that is given is generally negative, you're going to be better off sticking with what's known to work and work well. The SCS is a unsolution to a nonproblem, mark it down as a lesson learned and move on with an effective system that's validated by prevalence, reputation, and history. 

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I'd just love to know what sites you're looking at that tell you that the rifle buffer "totals around 5.0oz..."    That's BS, from the sites that you're gleaning that info from.  Just so you know.  Please list them, so we know what "informational sites" we know here, to mark as bad info...   :thumbup:

https://www.wingtactical.com/buyers-guide-for-buffers-buffer-springs/

http://tacticalism.com/ar-15-buffer/

and a few others, although now that you have mentioned that I have located some other sites that state 5.4oz. Do thanks for clarifying that for me.

11 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Time for story time with weird Uncle Matt! Way back when I first got tangled up with this group of lovable meat-heads, I gradually got more and more interested in specialized components, specifically a hydraulic buffer unit that lots of folks had various opinions about. So I started doing my research, and found that generally people who had them weren't impressed by them, and in a few cases caused malfunctions of the same type you've described. Against my better judgement, I bought one because I'm the type of knucklehead who likes to make his own assessment. I quickly learned that the hydraulic buffer unit was a useless POS for anything except installing for the purpose of sabotaging an otherwise useful AR.

Here's the moral of the story! When you're doing your research and there's not much feedback on the product, and the feedback that is given is generally negative, you're going to be better off sticking with what's known to work and work well. The SCS is a unsolution to a nonproblem, mark it down as a lesson learned and move on with an effective system that's validated by prevalence, reputation, and history. 

I see that now, I read alot of great reviews about the SCS, and cannot find anything about the issues I'm experiencing. So I may just get the AR-15 conversion kit and throw it in one of my other builds. No one seems to have issues in a 15 mil spec build. Just these large frame builds are a pain in the ass I guess.

The people that spend all the money on all the fancy race-gun parts - that don't work on "working guns," but work on Race Guns that are specifically built - are the most pissed off about it, and question us the most - they fight the most, over their expensive purchase of those parts. They try to justify them, and say those parts are the greatest - because that website TOLD them that they are the greatest...

Most .308AR builds are NOT Race Guns. Competition Guns.  Speed Guns.  Call it what you will. 

Race Gun parts have NO REASON to be in a basic, functional .308AR rifle build - unless you're building that thing from the ground-up TO COMPETE and win money. 

If you want to build a functional .308AR rifle - build a basic rifle with basic parts, and skip that fancy shiit. The "fancier" you try to make it, with all the "complicated parts," the more you fucked up the  true functionality of the rifle.

Make a functional rifle first.   Then fuk with it...

5 minutes ago, 6.5 Creed love said:

No one seems to have issues in a 15 mil spec build. Just these large frame builds are a pain in the ass I guess.

These are definitely not AR15s.  Nowhere close.  You can't apply any AR15 information to these things, besides triggers...

Furthermore, recoil systems for AR15s are VASTLY different than .308AR recoil systems.  Not by inches, or fractions.By miles.  You need to understand the recoil systems between the two platforms - AR15 and .308 AR - before you make that comparison.  That you just made. 

Hey, Creed Love, go make an intro post in the Intro Section, and tell us a little bit about yourself, instead of piggying on a thread that's 4 years old.  Explain it all, about you - then get into some technical threads about your problems, in the specific sections about that. 

That will help. 

26 minutes ago, 6.5 Creed love said:

https://www.wingtactical.com/buyers-guide-for-buffers-buffer-springs/

http://tacticalism.com/ar-15-buffer/

and a few others, although now that you have mentioned that I have located some other sites that state 5.4oz. Do thanks for clarifying that for me.

AR15 references, AR15, AR15, AR15...  again and again, in both the links you posted.  This isn't an AR15.   This is what was developed BEFORE the AR15 was even a vision on someone's horizon... 

57 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

These are definitely not AR15s.  Nowhere close.  You can't apply any AR15 information to these things, besides triggers...

Furthermore, recoil systems for AR15s are VASTLY different than .308AR recoil systems.  Not by inches, or fractions.By miles.  You need to understand the recoil systems between the two platforms - AR15 and .308 AR - before you make that comparison.  That you just made. 

I completely understand that and if you read and interpreted what I said instead of picking it apart you would see that I made no such comparisons of an AR10 to an AR15. I simply stated that JP makes a conversion kit for the SCS, and instead of having a $200 paperweight I will transform the .308 SCS into one for my 5.56 build. You are a fairly belligerent individual and I don't know why you are riding this horse so hard. Read the post entirely or scroll thru. Don't try to make other people feel stupid or inadequate. I've seen this on posts you've made to other individuals on this forum on different threads. I was done until you got back on your high horse. 

10 minutes ago, 6.5 Creed love said:

I completely understand that and if you read and interpreted what I said instead of picking it apart you would see that I made no such comparisons of an AR10 to an AR15. I simply stated that JP makes a conversion kit for the SCS, and instead of having a $200 paperweight I will transform the .308 SCS into one for my 5.56 build. You are a fairly belligerent individual and I don't know why you are riding this horse so hard. Read the post entirely or scroll thru. Don't try to make other people feel stupid or inadequate. I've seen this on posts you've made to other individuals on this forum on different threads. I was done until you got back on your high horse. 

I did. Entirely.  Good Luck.:thumbup:  If you feel stupid or inadequate, that's on you - you put yourself in that position, based on what you posted.  Nothing to do with me, in the least.  That's you, man. Deal with it, on your own terms.

Also, I'm never on a "high horse" here.  My only goal is to get information out. You've obviously failed to understand that.  Again, on that note - good luck. 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

The people that spend all the money on all the fancy race-gun parts - that don't work on "working guns," but work on Race Guns that are specifically built - are the most pissed off about it, and question us the most - they fight the most, over their expensive purchase of those parts. They try to justify them, and say those parts are the greatest - because that website TOLD them that they are the greatest...