• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Samson Barrel Nut

Robocop1051

Troy Industries does the same exact same thing, but I don't know if their DPMS barrel nut is available for separate purchase.  It's made for the Troy MRF-308 rail.  Basically, the nut is an "option" that you can buy for that specific rail, when you buy the rail.  The rail will direct-mount onto an Armalite AR-10 stock barrel nut - if you happen to have a DPMS .308 gun, you buy the Troy barrel nut with the rail.  The exterior of that nut is identical to an Armalite nut, but obviously it's threaded for DPMS threads.

Possibly an option, if someone wanted to contact Troy Ind about it, and if you were looking for any other rail for your DPMS that is only made for direct-mount onto an Armalite nut.  <thumbsup>

I assume , they are referring to free float hand guards made for Armilite or are they referring to the two piece type .

I see no way of attaching the delta ring to the nut ,unless I'm missing something on how Armilite attaches it .

I also see the nut has flats for a different type wrench  or I guess you can use a open or box type wrench , ummm.

I assume , they are referring to free float hand guards made for Armilite or are they referring to the two piece type .

I see no way of attaching the delta ring to the nut ,unless I'm missing something on how Armilite attaches it .

I also see the nut has flats for a different type wrench  or I guess you can use a open or box type wrench , ummm.

I'm pretty sure it's freefloat only for that, but it's identical to the stock OEM Armalite nut of similar design/dimensions/outer diameter.  That one I reference from Troy has the wrench flats, too, but only two flats - you wouldn't be rounding any corners on that thing.  ;D

• 9 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old topic but does the samson barrel nut the same outer diameter as the standard barrel nut?

i have an Apex Gator Grip in the mail and need to get a barrel nut, it attaches to a std nut, which I don't have due to this being an all new build.

thanks.

Cynikal,

I have the same handguard (love it). Since I too did the "from the ground up" build, I just ordered the standard DPMS barrel nut directly from www.DPMSinc.com. It was only $19.95 (+s&h).

Sorry for bringing up an old topic but does the samson barrel nut the same outer diameter as the standard barrel nut?

It'll be the same size as a standard Armalite barrel nut, which is different than the standard DPMS nut.  This nut offered by Samson should thread directly into a DPMS upper receiver, but allow you to mount any free float setup that is made to direct-mount to a stock Armalite rifle. 

The hazard now is:  with DPMS changing rail heights like dirty underwear, will the Armalite-based free float Picatinny rails line up with the DPMS upper?...  <dontknow>

Based on what I built, using the Troy MRF-308 rail, an Armalite-based rail will line up with the older DPMS rail height.  I used the older height upper, and that MRF-308 rail.  The rail was originally made to fit both rifles, when used with their (Troy's) barrel nut on the DPMS upper.