• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 upper receiver block

I received my 308 upper receiver block today,  I am not to happy with the fit.  I originally thought I  was buy  a DPMS brand  but they sent me a part marked 308 Brownells. I have side to side movement and if I take pin and put it in hole on the receiver they are allot smaller.. I could maybe re-drill fixture and use bigger pins.. I did not purchase this at brownell, it came from private dealer

how tight should the block fit into upper receiver.? 

how tight should the pins be?

if I turn mine on it's side  the pin will fall out.  I am going to have to redo and use larger pins. even if I have to make them both pins are .250

pin size is  .250

measurement on receiver are :

hole's on upper receiver tabs are. .279  pivot pin is .277 the reartake down pin is at .284 and and hole .294

Are you saying the pins on the block are loose in the the holes in the upper ?

What brand upper are you using ?

My holes in my DPMS upper are much smaller than your readings . I'm getting any where from 0.252" to 0.262" , depending on how much pressure I put on the digital caliper.

If your pins in the block are 0.250" ,they are correct.

A little side play in the block to upper should not matter as long as the pins are some what tight in the upper receiver holes.

The block is made to fit a wide verity of uppers & may not be a tight fit to all .

The block should just keep the upper receiver from twisting when tightening barrel nut .

Some don't like the block because they say it puts too much stress on the uppers pin holes.

I have not had a bad Brownells part or tool . Was this block new in the wrapper ?

Are you saying the pins on the block are loose in the the holes in the upper ?

What brand upper are you using ?

brand is dpms  My holes in my DPMS upper are much smaller than your readings . I'm getting any where from 0.252" to 0.262" , depending on how much pressure I put on the digital caliper.

The holes in upper match lower pins in size If your pins in the block are 0.250" ,they are correct.

A little side play in the block to upper should not matter as long as the pins are some what tight in the upper receiver holes.

pins are not tight. that would be covered in earlier post The block is made to fit a wide verity of uppers & may not be a tight fit to all .

The block should just keep the upper receiver from twisting when tightening barrel nut .

to bad no one makes something like model 1 for 308. that is a much better type IMHO  Some don't like the block because they say it puts too much stress on the uppers pin holes.

what choice is there, who make something different I have not had a bad Brownells part or tool . Was this block new in the wrapper ?

this is from a 3rd party seller, but it is new.  

So why cant you call the company and let them know the problem?

I would let them know for sure I was not happy with the product or purchase. They may say keep it and send you another.

I will not use this company again, this is tracking number # 9101128882300570596728  look at dates, told 3-4 days max before I would receive.  I got my refund.

I paid for a dpms claw and was sent block from brownells. are spec's diff.?

bottom line is I don't like to wait when I paid not to.  I build during cold months of the year, I shoot during the warm months of the year. wether it is just pl inking or shooting a 3 gun match. I figure I only have so much time to get something done on each project I start.  I can still get this done in time.  this is last build till I get my own machines.  ( "don't quote me on that") at least that's the plan.

I received my 308 upper receiver block today,  I am not to happy with the fit.  I originally thought I  was buy  a DPMS brand  but they sent me a part marked 308 Brownells. I have side to side movement and if I take pin and put it in hole on the receiver they are allot smaller.. I could maybe re-drill fixture and use bigger pins.. I did not purchase this at brownell, it came from private dealer

how tight should the block fit into upper receiver.? 

how tight should the pins be?

Is your Block white or black? I know you said you did not order from Brownells , but they have 2 one is black and one is the DPMS white. I am fixin to order one and I would hate to get in that bad batch.

i have a DPMS and just used it last night to put on  PWS FSC-30 and mine fits in the receiver tight.....the pins do have a little play...but not enough to hurt the use of it....

You should NEVER use a receiver block to install/uninstall ANY muzzle device.

The proper way is to use a BARREL VISE BLOCK. Otherwise you run the very real risk of tweaking your upper or barrel out of spec due to excessive torque at the barrel end.

/Defensive Edge Armorer

Kelly

I like the PRI upper receiver block, it actually is cut so that one side is for the AR-15 and the other has the holes spaced for the AR .308 the only thing I did was make spacers so that the .250 pins provided aren't a loose fit in the .  AR.308 uppers  .270 ID pivot and takedown pin holes.