• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ready to buy DPMS GEN II, but which one?

Joebada

Thank you Spartan for sharing your insights and offering to help me put a build list together, I really appreciate it. You've definite given me a lot to think about. 

My goal was a 400-600 yard consistent gun, eventually stretching to 800 as my skill improves.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for as well. Would like mine to come in under 8 lbs and cost around $1200 - 1300. Is this possible you think?

I'm going to do some research on components and post a tenative build list and ask for suggestions. I think I can save some money going with a little less robust BCG than you did, a regular magpul stock without a rail and a less expensive muzzle break. I will not skimp on the trigger though, is the SSA-E the best? My friend has a Jewell trigger in his AR-15 that he loves and my Dad has a Timney in his M1A that he raves about as well.

Then once the build list is nailed down, I'll wait for the next round of sales as you suggest.

Thanks again.

Aero had their NiB 308 BCG for around $200 last week i think.   I would say the SSA-E is one of the best in the two stage category if that's the type trigger you prefer. I love a two stage for long range shooting but others don't.  You can score it for $192 on sale from Primary Arms a few times per year.  I'm always hesitant to say a certain product is "the best" because it's all a little subjective. 

I would really encourage you to look at muzzle brakes.  The VG was about $80 on sale.  I shot it with/without it and there is a huge difference, especially for follow up shots.  Have fun with the build and keep us posted.  

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RAMUV9SqdY4J:www.primaryarms.com/VG6_Precision_Gamma_7_62_5_8x24_High_Performance_M_p/gamma762.htm+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

$82 at PA, they have 10-20% off muzzle devices pretty often. 

Not all muzzle devices are created the same. There aren't many muzzle brakes and compensators that 'understand' proper high-pressure gas dynamics. The VG6 GAMMA 556 was designed using state of the art engineering techniques, utilizing CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) and CAE (Computer Aided Engineering). 100% CNC machined for optimal performance. Stainless steel construction for longevity.

VG puts a ton of engineering into their stuff. 

VG%20Gamma_zpsnmr1qjcy.jpg

Not all muzzle devices are created the same. There aren't many muzzle brakes and compensators that 'understand' proper high-pressure gas dynamics. The VG6 GAMMA 556 was designed using state of the art engineering techniques, utilizing CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) and CAE (Computer Aided Engineering). 100% CNC machined for optimal performance. Stainless steel construction for longevity.

VG puts a ton of engineering into their stuff. 

VG%20Gamma_zpsnmr1qjcy.jpg

Lol... CFD isn't state of the art. It's state of the present and has been for a long while. Whenever companies use that term you can basically think of it as a "check box" item for marketing material, just like how everybody says "aircraft grade aluminum!" What really matters is the model they used for it and I don't think they're going to actually say anything about what they plugged into COMSOL or ANSYS.