• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lightweight 308AR barrel.

BLKSHEEP

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old Mossberg 4X4 .308 with a 22" lightweight barrel. No whip. Killed plenty of four legged beasts. 

If used as a hunting rifle, and not a 3Gun/combat piece, lengthening the time between shots and allowing time to cool, there's no reason it shouldn't be 1st shot accurate on a cold (or even a warm) barrel.

With that barrel and my lower @ 20.2 ounces I could build an AR 308 UNDER 5 pounds. Pretty amazing a Gen 1 can get that light!

breaststroker, just a note for you here - all you're doing with the "Gen 1" talk is confusing new people.  There's only ONE company making a Gen 2, and that's the DPMS.  There is no "Gen 1" out there.  It's just a regular 308AR platform, or it's the DPMS Gen 2.  That's it.

Just thought you'd like to know, so you can drop the confusing talk. All you're doing with it is fucking up newbies.

• 2 weeks later...

This one has GEN II in the model name;

http://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpar556-rifle-gen-ii-black/

There is a Barrett REC7 Gen II;

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/ar-15/barrett-rec7-gen-ii-review/

Kel-Tec SUB-2000 GENII

http://www.range365.com/rifle-test-kel-tec-sub-2000-gen-2

Sig calls their second try at making the 716 function reliably a "GEN II"

DPMS doesn't have a thing to do with any of these....."GEN II" is nothing but a way for marketers to let people know the weapon in not the same crap that "GEN I" was but is new and improved blah blah blah......about as pertinent as the weight of an AR rifle without sights and a dust cover.

Nah man - breastman is using that in a completely different context, though he might not even understand what he's posting...  Completely.  He's specifically talking about the fact that he made a "Gen I" .308AR a certain weight - and he made sure to say it wasn't a "Gen II" that he was building, with that weight...

For .308ARs, I'll say it again, there is only one "Gen II," that that comes from the specific, patented design that DPMS is producing.  There really is not a "Gen I" type .308 AR, just because DPMS decided to make a "Gen II."  There are just .308ARs out there.

Breastman didn't address my comment about that, did he...  Hmmm...