• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SSA 308 Win 168 Grain OTM ( Cosmetic Blem)

warthog984

Just curious who bought SSA 308 Win 168 Grain OTM from Shooter's Supply that was labeled cosmetic blemish.  I bought it in March and just tried it today.  I had nothing but issues with extraction in my gun.  I have had no issues with PPU 168gr, Fed Match 168gr, Fed 150gr, PMC 147gr in the same gun.  The extractor was actually ripping the head apart on several of the casings.  I adjusted the gas so that it would not extract and several of the cases were stuck in the chamber.  I think the casings are to soft.  I am wondering if any one else had this issue.  

Below is the initial topic for this ammo in March:

I bought 500 rounds.....I feel like a sad bad with an swollen anus.  It was brutal shooting 20 rounds.  I had to use a cleaning rod to get the empty cases out since it ripped the rim off case.  I tried two boxes, but i would assume they were from the same lot since the problem did not go away. All of the case say Pierce.

Edited by warthog984

Sounds like the ammo is loaded hot, whenever the extractor slips over the rim and one needs a cleaning rod to knock the case out means to much pressure. I would suggest a couple of things to try, seat the bullets a little deeper say .010 to .015. It gives the bullet a little running start before getting to the lands. Or remove the bullet, reweigh the charger 1g to 1.5g lighter charge, reseat the bullet. Lastly, sell the ammo to someone who has no issues with their rifle shooting the ammo.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I suspect that the barrel chamber may be on the tight side.  I am using a Mega 16" barrel.  I have heard that others have had extraction issues from Mega 308 barrels caused by tight chambers which they remedied by polishing the chamber.  I was a little confused at first since the gun cycled fine the last time I shot it.  I think the SSA casing dimensions may be on the higher side of the tolerance.  Also as mentioned above, the SSA ammo may be hotter.  I think I am going to polish the chamber and try it again.  Any suggestions on the best way to polish the chamber?  I was thinking of using a bore mop and Flitz.  I am probably around 180 rounds fired through the barrel.