• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My First 308 AR. Need barrel recommendations

AlexTheGreatest

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. I just recently join d because I've been building my First AR.

Specs.

CMT Upper and lower billet

Rifle buffer tube assembly

MagpulPRS

Primary Arms TiN BCG

Fortis Switch 15" keymod rail and Fortis .750 low profile gas block

I'm stuck on what barrel I should get. I've been looking at Faxon's Medium 20" Barrel, but I can't find many reviews on them. Has anyone had experience with them? What sone barrels I should look at? Preferably o e that uses a rifle length gas system and .750 gas block seat. Thank you so much. Happy shooting.

received_10207114448995582.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Alex. Faxon firearms has a great reputation for the barrels they produce. While I have not used the barrel you described, I believe that you will be more than happy with their craftsmanship.

Faxon maintains a presence here as well as other websites which speaks to their level of commitment in the products they sell. My next barrel purchase will be from Faxon Firearms.

Best of luck on your build and please don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions, although a quick search of the forum will provide a lot of answers too. 

Welcome to the forum Alex. Faxon firearms has a great reputation for the barrels they produce. While I have not used the barrel you described, I believe that you will be more than happy with their craftsmanship.

Faxon maintains a presence here as well as other websites which speaks to their level of commitment in the products they sell. My next barrel purchase will be from Faxon Firearms.

Best of luck on your build and please don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions, although a quick search of the forum will provide a lot of answers too. 

Yeah I've been hearing a lot of good things and they're very affordable. Thank you for that input. 

Hi Alex  Welcome to the forum !    If it were me I would use a mid length gas system. I have several 308's using this length,and never a problem on the build.
Faxon has great customer service although I havnt used their barrels yet,but Im sure they are nice shooters. Rainier arms has several to choose from.

Why do you want a 20" barrel...whatcha gonna be using your rifle for?   Wash

I rifle length is more my style. I started with the idea of 18" but in the end I went with 20" for personal preference and looks. I believe it's because most of my current bolt action rifles use 22 and 24 but that seemed to long on an ar. I'm going to be using it to shoot up to 600m as I do with my other rifles.

I rifle length is more my style. I started with the idea of 18" but in the end I went with 20" for personal preference and looks. I believe it's because most of my current bolt action rifles use 22 and 24 but that seemed to long on an ar. I'm going to be using it to shoot up to 600m as I do with my other rifles.

Alex  you say a rifle length is more your style.... you sure you arnt getting the gas system mixed up with barrel length?

Welcome to the forum from the border.  I have a Faxon 18" barrel on my 308AR and it is very accurate and one of the lightest 18" barrels on the market.  I wouldn't think you would need 20" if you are only going out 600 yards.  A 16" or 18" would be more than adequate.

well that's just starting I want to move out further and further.

Criterion is a forum sponsor and has a 16" rifle gas barrel in the works. I plan on ordering soon as they give the green light. 

I've never heard a single complaint about faxon and they are always here answering questions. No doubt I'll build something with them eventually.

They ARE ready, Blue, you just gotta call Criterion.  I got mine last week, just haven't had the time for pictures & such....