• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Removing the handguard without a tool

Here is a tip for some of you with a standard Delta ring type handguard.  If you do not have a tool and you do not have someone to assist you, it can be very difficult to remove the handguard.  So, here is an easy way to do it:

You will need a small (about an 1.5") cheap carabiner (I bought mine in the sporting goods department of Walmart) and some 1/8" rope (I used nylon, you can use paracord or whatever you have laying around).  Take the carabiner and remove the gate.  Take either end of the carabiner and put it through one of the holes in the handguard closest to delta ring.  Tie the rope to the other hook and make a loop to go around a door knob.  Put the loop on the back side of the door, then shut the door.  Place the butt stock on the ground, have the rope tight with the tension pulling against the handguard.  Push the delta ring down with both hands while keeping pressure on the rope.  The handguard will pop off (make sure you support the rifle or it will drop to the floor).  To replace, slip the front end in the ring by the gas port, pull down on the delta ring and push the section on with your other hand.  Repeat for the other half.

Simple, easy, and less expensive than a tool or pizza and beer for your assistant.