• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.300 sub relodes

sketch

One thing I have a problem with Rifle type lead Bullets used in a self loader is , you never know if the Bullet gets deformed in some way on the feed ramp . It will shoot ,but could do funny things going through a Suppressor , could leave some nasty crap in them & just makes cleaning so much more fun .

I'm all for Jacketed bullets in rifles , price sometimes off set labor .I stopped using lead in my Revolvers because of leading . Gas checks help , but lead is lead , no matter what you wrap it with or lube it with . I do still cast & shoot 45 acp & some 45 Colt , but they are different beasts .

JMHO

No speculation here , lead is lead & if you think by putting a micro layer of copper on them stops leading of the Barrel lands & groves , not to mention particles from the fired lead going down the gas tube , its not speculation , its a given fact that lead fouling happens with all lead fired Bullets , no matter what velocity's they are shot at . You may never know if your bullet is deformed ,except how it performed down range in a grouping. now if your just blasting off ammo , well thats entirely different .

I have shot a lot of lead out of Suppressors & it gets them a whole lot dirtier then shooting Jacketed Bullets , no doubt about it . I guess round count would make a difference , shoot less before cleaning may make it less noticeable  .

Its a fact, that Copper jacketed bullets shoot cleaner . If your arguing that , you need to shoot more .?

Somewhere around here Mr. Raley posted a picture of a gas port on a 22 rimfire upper, almost plugged with lead. My question is do the plated bullets like those from Extreme Bullets make a difference with such a thin layer of copper?????

http://www.xtremebullets.com/Copper-Plated-Bullets-s/2897.htm

it's in that thread about those 22 drop in kits for ar's, and the problem with them is they are a blow back operation and don't use the gas system there for they plug up the gas port and tube

ps the manufactures of those things, atleast the one I had recommend using jacketed bullets and after a few 100 rounds ripping off some 223/556 thru your gun to blow out the gas system

Edited by shepp

No speculation here , lead is lead & if you think by putting a micro layer of copper on them stops leading of the Barrel lands & groves , not to mention particles from the fired lead going down the gas tube , its not speculation , its a given fact that lead fouling happens with all lead fired Bullets , no matter what velocity's they are shot at .

Well I'm going to call B.S. on that right now! I have been using moly coated cast lead bullets in my competition pistol for several years now and have had zero, that's ZERO! leading in the bore. You are going to badmouth lead bullets no matter what I say and I will cite real world experience of myself and others that they work just fine so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one!

Somewhere around here Mr. Raley posted a picture of a gas port on a 22 rimfire upper, almost plugged with lead. My question is do the plated bullets like those from Extreme Bullets make a difference with such a thin layer of copper?????

http://www.xtremebullets.com/Copper-Plated-Bullets-s/2897.htm

JT, as you know, 22 rimfire bullets have, at the most, a copper wash or wax coating so plugged gas ports from shooting them would not surprise me. The guys over on the other forum that have quite a bit of experience using the powder coated cast bullets have had no problems with plugged gas ports or lead in their silencers. I have put several hundred of the Extreme Bullets copper plated bullets through my 300 BLK with no problems and no leading in the bore or lead in the silencer. I haven't removed the gas block to check for any debris in the gas port but I'm guessing that since there's none in the bore and the gun is functioning just fine it is a non-issue.

Well I'm going to call B.S. on that right now! I have been using moly coated cast lead bullets in my competition pistol for several years now and have had zero, that's ZERO! leading in the bore. You are going to badmouth lead bullets no matter what I say and I will cite real world experience of myself and others that they work just fine so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one!

I could have sworn we were talking about AR 15 rifles in 300BLK caliber !

I too will call your zero leading of the Barrel BS, sure , if you fire a few rounds & clean it with coated bullets , you won't see much , but all coatings wear off the lead projectile upon going down the barrel , of course this all depends on the barrel length , a short barrel will not see as much as a longer one , a had polished match barrel may not see as much as a factory std barrel , but friction will still drag lead or coating off the projectile going down the barrel , that's a fact that has proof any where you want to look it up .

The fact that the pressure & heat from the powder ignition will subject the base of the Lead Projectile ( coated or not ) to release sub micron levels of lead with in the powders gas signature into the gas system of any firearm . You may not see it at first & it may cause no issues at first, but a constant firing & it will build up on all surfaces inside the gas delivery system . It will happen , you can't eliminate physics because you like what a bullet is made of , it even does it with Jacketed bullets to a much lesser degree or effect  .

I never said any where, I didn't think lead projectiles would not work , all I said is I don't recommend them ( in AR's for sure ), it was my opinion & knowing what I know about them & how much I don't like cleaning the firearm that I used them in , is why .