• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to auto loading LRP shooting

Kingchooser

this is my first experience with an auto loader for long range precision shooting. I have only been able to put about 50 rounds through it so far. The first time I shot I got ZQi and 168 GMM to group around 1moa. The 2nd time I went out was to rezero with a Larue lt158 and due to this asinine time changing we do, I was trying to beat to darkness. I think I noticed that the rounds that sat in the chamber an extra 30-45 seconds due to me messing with adjustment or whatever, were flying high as much as 3-4 inches. With all my experience being with a bolt gun, I've never really had to consider chamber time that much. Is this a common problem with these guns? After the barrel heats up, do you pretty much have to send the rounds much quicker than on a cooler barrel. I realize the type of ammo used is a big factor with this. Right now I definitely would not consider using Reloader powder due to its temp sensitivity. Am I off base here? It makes sense to me, otherwise I wouldn't be so anal about chambering a round in my bolt gun until ready to send it. Any thoughts? 

Thanks

This is my first QD Larue mount, so this morning I broke it all down and reinstalled scope. I cleaned the gun and checked for any out of the ordinary signs of wear or rubbing. I am going to put it on my bolt gun and test it. I figure there are 2 possibilities. 1. It was shooter error. I am basing this on the notion that if I was taking a lot longer to fire, I must have not been comfortable with shot to begin with. 2. Cheap ammo. Although I know it happened at least once with GMM. For the most part it was the ZQi stuff. 

It is probably a little of both.  I do know that a 10-15F increase in casing temp can definately cause a high impact of .5mils+. I found this out last July when one of my ammo boxes slid off my mat and sat on the black hood of my truck for 15 minutes. I don't know what temp a chamber gets up to with varying firing scenarios, but I am going to find out. 

I am leaning towards shooter error or a scope/mount issue.  I meddle in the Precision Rifle arena and your theory of chamber and casing temperature is not reflected in my experiences.  If you look at guys that run and gun with their rifles, the time between shots can vary greatly and there generally isn't that type of correction needed. Otherwise, ballistic calculators would have a way to correct for it especially at ranges increase.  

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with StainTrain, I don't leave much time for barrel cool down when load testing & if its happening , I don't see it in grouping . Check to make sure your Barrel Nut is torqued to spec's & as said all other components .

You don't have a very high round count also & it might make a difference with some rifles .

• 1 month later...

Not trying to be a jerk so don't take it that way, but why shoot cheap ammo in a  precision rig. Shoot good ammo in the first place and completely eliminate the possibility of ammo even being an issue. Precision and cheap are opposites, and don't belong together. That being said I'd highly doubt even cheap ammo will change its poi that much. Ill second the others that have stated recheck everything especially the scope and mount using the proper tools (proper torque) for everything. After doing that try again and see how it goes and if you don't get the results you like find the best (most experienced shooter) you know to put a couple on a target for you and see what happens and I'm sure you will eventually get it worked out.

Not trying to be a jerk so don't take it that way, but why shoot cheap ammo in a  precision rig. Shoot good ammo in the first place and completely eliminate the possibility of ammo even being an issue. Precision and cheap are opposites, and don't belong together. That being said I'd highly doubt even cheap ammo will change its poi that much. Ill second the others that have stated recheck everything especially the scope and mount using the proper tools (proper torque) for everything. After doing that try again and see how it goes and if you don't get the results you like find the best (most experienced shooter) you know to put a couple on a target for you and see what happens and I'm sure you will eventually get it worked out.

EXACTLY           Wash