• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First 308 build. Chambering issue.

IceBerg

New member here with a technical problem. This is my first 308 build but far from my first ar platform build. The problem is that the bolt won't go fully into battery reliablely, sometimes the round will even get stuck partially into the chamber but angled to the right side of the bolt. This happens when cycling and when releasing the bolt. I did some troubleshooting and I'm fairly convinced it has something to do with the bolt. At first I thought it could be the buffer spring but when I swapped the bcg out with one from a friends rifle it cycled perfect.

Parts list.

Aero precision upper and lower receivers, charging handle, lpk, and nickel boron bcg.

DEZ arms 20" rifle length match barrel.

JP silent buffer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Had a similar problem, different brands of parts, but similar feed problems.  Like you, swapped BCG and it cycled perfectly.  I swapped out an Ares Armor bcg for a new Rubber City Armory bcg, and VOILA! runs like a watch.  My advice is don't complicate your life.  Grab up another bcg (what the hell, steal the one that worked-lol) stuff it up your rifle, verify headspace and go sling lead.  Simple works.

Send rifle pics and a range report when you're done.

Welcome to the forum from WA

Nice looking rifle .

I would replace the Bolts Extractor & Ejector assemblies ( springs also) first or one assem. at a time ,or just a complete bolt , depends on what you want to spend or have available . 

Too slippery , not sure on that one , I would think it would help. I can see a too tight or binding Extractor or Ejector , keeping the cartridge base from seating correctly , more than too slick , but you never know , we have seen a lot of issues with NIB Bolts here , some just need time to seat them selfs .

The above has a good suggestion , because I have a new Bolt that will not function properly in one 308AR , the one it was built with ,but two other Bolts work fine with the Rifle . 

Couple things I saw in your description,  1st get a plastic  bag label it (Not To Be Used until the Next Gun Build) Throw the JP Silent Buffer in it ! Go get a plain LR308 buffer and install it ... Go shoot the gun again , if it is still having issues then check your extractor and ejector. .. then the gas block for alignment .

Too Slippery. ..LOL... That's what she said !

Could possibly be getting caught against the squared off end of the ejector. I always chamfer and polish the tip. No need for it to be squared off like that.

That was my next thaught. I just pulled it out and chamfered it. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend and see if it works.

Could possibly be getting caught against the squared off end of the ejector. I always chamfer and polish the tip. No need for it to be squared off like that.

I love it when she polishes the tip!!!

glad to got it running iceberg, welcome to the forum