• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Leupold AR MOD1 3-9x40mm TMR VS. Vortex PST 2.5-10x44mm EBR

Hello Community!!!

So I am almost finished with my rifle and I am now looking to purchase a optic... Yikes!!!

So this is what I have now:

JL Billet DPMS Platform AR 308

18" Mid-Length Gas System...

I'm being torn apart by these two optics. I really like these two scopes from the reviews I have read and the illuminated for features. One is a red dot and the other is a green dot. Both lifetime warranties and both very reputable companies. It's the Leupold AR MOD1 3-9x40mm TMR and the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44mm EBR MRAD. From the reviews I have read both are good scopes but I know I might have to get new turrets to accommodate the .308. They are both about the same price and like most, I'm on a budget with a $500 range. I want to be able to go out to possibly 600 to maybe 800 yards with either of these scopes. Would like to know what everyone's opinion is of these two scopes and what you would recommend for my build. I am fairly new to the gun world so any feedback is much appreciated... Thank you all and God Bless!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/178916/vortex-optics-viper-pst-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-25-10x-44mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-illuminated-ebr-1-mrad-reticle-matte

VS.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362519819/leupold-mark-ar-mod-1-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-matte

I had one of the first Leupolds marketed as a "long range tactical" scope.  They came with a mil-dot reticle or fine crosshairs at the time.  I opted for the fine cross hairs.  Great scope, beautiful clarity.  Leupold stayed on top of the scope game for awhile after that.

But over the course of many, many years, Leupold quit listening to customers saying what they wanted.  During this time I was working retail and did many side-by-side comparisons with rifle scopes.  Not only did they not listen to the shooting public, they ignored up and comer optics companies who were listening to customers.

The next time I was in the market for a long range scope, I looked at everything Leupold was offering and asked what everyone else was happy with. The rave reviews over Vortex products seemed too good to be true. 

Found a great deal from Camera Land on a "used (opened, never mounted)" Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm first focal plane, illuminated reticle.  With Leupold the options at the time were either the FFP or the illuminated reticle, not available together for only just over twice the price of the Vortex.

Admittedly that scope saw only a sighting in session or two, then I put it up for sale.  After posting it, I noticed a small speck on one of the lenses inside and informed the buyer.  Called Vortex.  Vortex said "Send it in!  Unconditional lifetime warranty!"

Vortex removed said speck, replaced the seals, recharged the scope, and didn't charge a dime.

Yes, Leupold stands behind their products.  But so does Vortex, at half the price.

I too would choose the Vortex hands-down (I have that exact Vortex scope as well and I am very happy with it). The reasons are as follows:

The Leupold in question is actually one of their lower end scopes targeted toward AR platform rifles...it typically is a $300 scope...the only reason the one you are looking at is $450 is because of the FireDot reticle. Also, the Leupold you are looking at has a 1" tube vs. 30mm tube on the Vortex.

The Vortex is normally a $600 scope, but Midway has been running sales on the MRAD version recently for $450, which is a fantastic price. They are still $600 for the MOA version.

If you're looking for a Leupold that is more comparable to the Vortex PST it would be this (Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9): http://www.midwayusa.com/product/325418/leupold-vx-r-patrol-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-3-9x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-illuminated-firedot-tmr-reticle-matte

Although that scope is not on sale and is $600 just like the Vortex MOA version.

I will say that I have very little experience with the Leupold's but I do have several Vortex's and have yet to be disappointed with one. Yes, there are certainly better scopes out there but for the price they are VERY hard to beat.

$450 for the Vortex 2.5-10x44 MRAD is dollar-for-dollar one of the best values out there right now IMO. And taking into account both of those Leupold's...the one you listed and the one I listed...you are either paying the same money for a lesser scope (with the Mark AR) or you are paying more money for an equal scope (the VX-R Patrol).

Wow...  Thank you both so very much for all of that information and I truly appreciate your advice. You have put me in a different train of thought and it makes more sense to me now. So Vortex PST 2.5-10 or Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 is the way to go right?

How much did you pay for that Vortex PST 4-16 btw? What was your experience with it? Would you recommend it if I can find a open box on eBay?

I don't know if it's true or not but I have read somewhere that Leupolds quality has gone down over the years also. Also that it's made now in China as before it was made here in the US correct?

I was looking at the Vortex VX-R Patrol 4-12x50mm and found a few on eBay running for about the same price. If you both can give me your insights and opinions I would appreciate it more than you know... 

Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! ALL for all your help and opinions!!! I love this forum site for the genuine people that take the time to help out others that are in need of guidance... God bless you all!!!

1 hour ago, JohnnyChingas007 said:

Wow...  Thank you both so very much for all of that information and I truly appreciate your advice. You have put me in a different train of thought and it makes more sense to me now. So Vortex PST 2.5-10 or Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 is the way to go right?

How much did you pay for that Vortex PST 4-16 btw? What was your experience with it? Would you recommend it if I can find a open box on eBay?

I don't know if it's true or not but I have read somewhere that Leupolds quality has gone down over the years also. Also that it's made now in China as before it was made here in the US correct?

I was looking at the Vortex VX-R Patrol 4-12x50mm and found a few on eBay running for about the same price. If you both can give me your insights and opinions I would appreciate it more than you know... 

Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! ALL for all your help and opinions!!! I love this forum site for the genuine people that take the time to help out others that are in need of guidance... God bless you all!!!

Flea bay scares me, to much knock off shit

2 hours ago, JohnnyChingas007 said:

Check Camera Land New York.  They continually list what they have in stock that is "opened never used".

3 hours ago, ironhorse18 said:

AMEN !  I switched from Leupold to Vortex.  Got a PST FFP 6 X 24 ordered for my .308 build now.  Might be a long wait.............

Same here!

2 hours ago, shepp said:

Flea bay scares me, to much knock off poop

Saaaame here!! +1 on pst

It's an illuminated MRAD Reticle. It looks really cool also but I have yet to hear anything about these scopes. The guy at the shop said he can get it for me for $600. He said that their warranty is exactly like Vortex lifetime unconditional. He showed me the PST 4-16 MRAD and I liked it also. He said that the SIG is exact quality and its performance is identical. He said I couldn't go wrong with either one. Please let me know if you are familiar with their scopes. Once again thank you so much for all your input!!! God Bless!!!

I recently acquired a sig cp1 3x for the pistol. I think the cross hairs are tilted to the left alil bit but for the price its ok . I dont know of there other models,  but im positive they have a great 30 cal silencer! Maybe where the money and rnd were focused in the last few years? Id go to the latter as stated above^^