• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Choices, choices, barrel choices...

SteveinUT

I'm getting very close to ordering a barrel for my build. I'm pretty certain I'm going to go with a rifle-length gas system 18". I know, the 50 or so FPS difference between 16" and 18" isn't much, but this rifle is going to see the bench and occasional coyote hunting, not CQB, so I'm pretty much good with the 18" decision. But, it's the barrel itself that I'm concerned with. I handload, so this shouldn't be TOO tough, but I'd need a barrel that's capable of sub-MOA (I know, everyone wants that). I am really tempted to go with the Faxon 18" medium taper. My concern is will it be light enough that hanging a suppressor off the end causes significant POI changes, or will I encounter significant POI changes due to heat because it's a lighter barrel? 

Please pardon my ignorance on this. I'm very experienced with the M16/AR15 series, but this is my first foray into building a 7.62. I have lurked here long enough to see that Faxon has a very good rep, so I assure you, I don't mean any insult to them. The concern is should I go medium weight or a heavy weight barrel, not with their barrel quality. Ideally, I'd like to go medium weight so I'm not killing myself on the occasions that I do take it hunting 'yotes. 

PS: Here is what the build consists of so far: Aero M5 upper, Quentin Defense lower, Geiselle G2S, Aero .308 buffer tube assembly (M4 type), Aero phosphated BCG, Magpul ACS and MOE grip, Aero M5 Enhanced Gen 2 handguard (MLOK). It will get a 7.62 suppressor in the future, probably the Silencerco Omega. 

Thanks for any input. It is appreciated. 

I have a Faxon 18" light (not pencil) barrel.  It has a mid-length gas system and I run a JP adjustable gas block.  It is a tack driver and I hauled it over hill and dale last hunting season.  Since I don't have a suppressor I can't speak to the changes it may make; however, with both 168 and 175 grain bullets it is limited only by the part holding the rifle.

Dude. The large AR platform, and suppressors = weight. I'm pretty much convinced (and I may be wrong), that they are strictly for the sniper world when it comes to this platform (where the hell is Stain to chime in on this). I've got an AR-10 SASS, and between the rifle itself....plus a loaded mag....and the glass that is going to be needed.....then the bipod to help support it (unless you hang it over a stump or something), then you hang a quality suppressor off of the end of it........all of that equals weight.

Now don't get me wrong. These animals serve a purpose. The very purpose why I built mine and am building another similar to it. But you have to consider the weight of these things as you're planning it. Also....that in use....you may hump these things into place in pieces and then assemble them. But still.....the weight is there. Either on the rifle, or in your pack as you maneuver.

Not trying to discourage you my man. Just chiming in my 2 cents.

Criterion Barrels , I have used three with 308AR's , though I just sold my 18" Criterion Hybrid barreled rifle , that Barrel with hand loads would have no problem with sub MOA . My 20"HB is a tac driver & my 16" HB is right up there also . My 16" HB weighs as much as the 18" Hybrid , which is a M118 configuration contour .

DSCN2502.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

8 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Dude. The large AR platform, and suppressors = weight. I'm pretty much convinced (and I may be wrong), that they are strictly for the sniper world when it comes to this platform (where the hell is Stain to chime in on this). I've got an AR-10 SASS, and between the rifle itself....plus a loaded mag....and the glass that is going to be needed.....then the bipod to help support it (unless you hang it over a stump or something), then you hang a quality suppressor off of the end of it........all of that equals weight.

Now don't get me wrong. These animals serve a purpose. The very purpose why I built mine and am building another similar to it. But you have to consider the weight of these things as you're planning it. Also....that in use....you may hump these things into place in pieces and then assemble them. But still.....the weight is there. Either on the rifle, or in your pack as you maneuver.

Not trying to discourage you my man. Just chiming in my 2 cents.

I'm tracking. You do make solid points. The reason for the suppressor is I lost quite a bit of my hearing while I was in the military, so now I'm trying to retain as much as possible. I don't want to end up completely deaf by the time I'm an old man. That's why I'm trying to save some weight where possible, ie. a medium weight barrel vs. heavy, to make up for the extra weight of the suppressor. I'll still be using my .223 coyote rifle most of the time for dogs. But, on occasion I'd like to tote the .308. 

OK, I ended up ordering an Aero 18" rifle length stainless. R2 made a good point. The rifle is going to be heavy, regardless. And, odds are I won't haul it out for dogs that often. So, I figured I may as well get the stiffer barrel and see less POI shift when hanging a suppressor. Hopefully it'll be an accurate barrel. I considered Faxon, and will use them in the future, since I see they have a nice lightweight 10.5" 5.56 barrel that would be good on my SBR. The Criterion was a bit out of my budget for this build. Mamma has been pretty decent on this build so far, and since I still need a scope, I figured I better not push my luck. 

One nice thing: both Aero and Faxon offer a military discount, which is greatly appreciated! Saved me more than a few bucks. 

Edited by SteveinUT

16 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

That should work .

Though the Criterion was only $ 59 more , but I know how it is , thats a lower parts kit :laffs:

With the military discount through Aero the barrel was $270 shipped. The cheapest Criterion I saw was $340, so close enough. Anyway, without getting into details, I'm lucky I was able to drop the $270! I forgot I have the stripped lower getting Cerakoted as we "speak", but the wife didn't forget! :lmao: