• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My First "Build" (Mod) Thread

COBrien

Rather than spreading pics and gratuitous pics of my rifle all over the forum, I decided this might be the place to start my own thread as a running "depository," so to speak, of the mods I've done (and will do) to my DPMS LR-308T.

I picked this rifle up earlier this year for $850:

0A7982F9-EC20-43FC-A528-C08B099E6359_zps

Bought an RRA 2-stage trigger from the same guy for $80, and dropped it in the rifle. Much better than the mile of gravel road leading up to an 8 lb. wall.

Sighted it in, broke it in, and decided it needed some parts swapped. First up was a Hogue pistol grip:

37599FF7-B35F-42CC-A9DD-0760C701BB64_zps

57332D42-0C66-4BFE-B906-18CC10C91F8B_zps

Next up was a secondhand Fulton Armory Rifle-Length Handguard, Fulton Armory low-profile gas block (.750" I.D.), and second-hand SEI "Good Iron" brake:

ED24F89E-C2CD-46C1-8B7F-2DF1493E3740_zps

I'm pretty satisfied with how it's coming along.

A change in optics will be next up, after I try out my idea for an internal pistol-grip-mounted monopod...

IMHO don't bother with a pistol grip bipod, bipods are best mounted out towards the muzzle while a pistol grip serves best further in and they tend to be heavy. I've got one sitting in the parts box after trying it out for a good bit and finding it to be a PITA. Looks like a Harris would be the ideal bipod on you set-up.

I have a couple of Harris knockoff bipods (Blackhawk Sportster?) that I like. I'm talking about a monopod mounted in the pistol grip, instead of a butt stock mounted monopod to support the rear of the rifle. 

It will be a similar concept to this one from Windham:

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=536

but tucked into the grip a bit more when it's not being used. 

Edited by COBrien

On 9/3/2016 at 10:57 AM, COBrien said:

Rather than spreading pics and gratuitous pics of my rifle all over the forum, I decided this might be the place to start my own thread as a running "depository," so to speak, of the mods I've done (and will do) to my DPMS LR-308T.

I picked this rifle up earlier this year for $850:

0A7982F9-EC20-43FC-A528-C08B099E6359_zps

Bought an RRA 2-stage trigger from the same guy for $80, and dropped it in the rifle. Much better than the mile of gravel road leading up to an 8 lb. wall.

Sighted it in, broke it in, and decided it needed some parts swapped. First up was a Hogue pistol grip:

37599FF7-B35F-42CC-A9DD-0760C701BB64_zps

57332D42-0C66-4BFE-B906-18CC10C91F8B_zps

Next up was a secondhand Fulton Armory Rifle-Length Handguard, Fulton Armory low-profile gas block (.750" I.D.), and second-hand SEI "Good Iron" brake:

ED24F89E-C2CD-46C1-8B7F-2DF1493E3740_zps

I'm pretty satisfied with how it's coming along.

A change in optics will be next up, after I try out my idea for an internal pistol-grip-mounted monopod...

a grip monopod would be better if the stud could be left in for a grip screw and not protrude out past the handle of the grip and the monopod removed.

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

a grip monopod would be better if the stud could be left in for a grip screw and not protrude out past the handle of the grip and the monopod removed.

That's what I'm looking at. Replace grip screw with a 3" long hex sleeve that's threaded 1/4-28 and has 1.5" of 1/4-28 all-thread sticking out 1" (Red LocTite between the all thread and hex sleeve would be a must). Then another 4" or so of all-thread (again, 1/4-28 to make life easier...), a knurled nut, and a rubber foot.

When not needed, the long piece of all-thread with the knurled nut and foot can be unthreaded from the 3" long hex. The hex does not stick out further than the bottom of the pistol grip, so a cap could be put in place to give it a finished look. The "foot" end of the monopod could be stashed in a trapdoor buttstock (like my MOE Rifle or an A2), put in a pocket, or in the range bag. I think it's going to be too long to comfortably stash away inside the pistol grip next to the 3" long hex...

You could run a piece of all thread to a " 1/4"rod coupling" . The ones I have used were 1/4-20,which could be changed by running a 1/4-20 die over for a depth of about 1/2" to one end. Set it so the rod coupling is flush/or little retarded to the bottom of the grip. Then you can add whatever length piece of rod/foot combo you like, easy on/off. Just a thought.

3 hours ago, COBrien said:

That's what I'm looking at. Replace grip screw with a 3" long hex sleeve that's threaded 1/4-28 and has 1.5" of 1/4-28 all-thread sticking out 1" (Red LocTite between the all thread and hex sleeve would be a must). Then another 4" or so of all-thread (again, 1/4-28 to make life easier...), a knurled nut, and a rubber foot.

When not needed, the long piece of all-thread with the knurled nut and foot can be unthreaded from the 3" long hex. The hex does not stick out further than the bottom of the pistol grip, so a cap could be put in place to give it a finished look. The "foot" end of the monopod could be stashed in a trapdoor buttstock (like my MOE Rifle or an A2), put in a pocket, or in the range bag. I think it's going to be too long to comfortably stash away inside the pistol grip next to the 3" long hex...

Yep that sounds like a plan to me.

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

You could run a piece of all thread to a " 1/4"rod coupling" . The ones I have used were 1/4-20,which could be changed by running a 1/4-20 die over for a depth of about 1/2" to one end. Set it so the rod coupling is flush/or little retarded to the bottom of the grip. Then you can add whatever length piece of rod/foot combo you like, easy on/off. Just a thought.

That's what I originally thought of. But what I'm looking at doing would be adjustable.

Well, the majority of the parts for this little experiment have shipped.

I calculated it all up, including shipping on the materials, and the cost to build one of these will be significantly less than the product I posted the link to.

If it works well, it'll be money well spent...

I'll post pics of the progress once I'm able to get my hands on everything.

Well, I knew it was going too smoothly.

Turns out, it's dang near impossible to thread a 3" long piece of bar stock (in this case, hex bar stock) 1/4-28 all the way through. What I ordered is actually threaded to a depth of approximately 9/16" on each end. That won't allow the "extra" length of all thread that's attached to the foot to retract into the body of the monopod.

I'm looking into some .500" x .058" wall DOM tube and welding threaded tube adapters into each end. I can't weld to save my life, but I have a buddy who's made a career of it...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after 2 full weekends (including Labor Day) of having to work and a 3-day jury trial this week, I took the afternoon off and went to my range. 

The rifle functioned flawlessly with the new gas block and SEI brake. Recoil was noticeably reduced, muzzle rise was almost non-existent. 

I went ahead and threw Slash's heavy buffer and AR-10 spring in. Again, functioned flawlessly. Recoil was similar to a 5.56 rifle. I'm impressed!

Re-zeroed the rifle with FGMM 168s and tried some Hornady TAP 168s, as well. 

Targets at 100 yards, from a bipod and rear bag. Wind was variable and from 4-5 o'clock.

930D7A02-6765-4D9D-81D5-332DBBAFCC5B_zps

Top left group is FGMM, other 2 are TAP. Not much to write home about, but today was about function testing and decompressing after 3+ weeks of trial prep. The rifle is capable of better...

C31C28D5-F9AF-48F3-9C26-FB30BF3DC9F9_zps

F404DAF4-F209-48FA-9B20-ACDEBDAA4864_zps

Edited by COBrien

On a side note, this pistol grip monopod project is progressing well. 

I got the remainder of the supplies in yesterday. Went out to the garage this evening and cut the DOM tube with a hacksaw and started mocking up. 

Retracted:

59734127-4F13-4B5A-8380-12E1D752C243_zps

Extended (not necessarily full length, as that will be more like 1.5"-2", but gives an idea):

D757E396-9DF3-4CEB-81BE-C524169105E2_zps

The all thread still needs to be cut to length, and the tube still needs to be cut to its final length to allow it to remain up inside the pistol grip once the "foot" portion of all thread is removed. 

I've also contacted a local anodizing shop that does black oxide. Once I get this cut down to the correct length and welded up, I'll be having all the non-SS parts treated. 

• 1 year later...

I figure I should probably update this thread...

Since my last post, I've purchased, mounted, and boresighted a Leupold VX-HOG (which is now discontinued...), added a Sniper Skid Plate, swapped in a LaRue MBT, and, well, that's about it. Pic attached. I have swapped back to the OEM A2 buttstock for the time being, though it may be a permanent thing.

Our daughter was born in December 2016, so spending time with her has taken priority over range time. In fact, I went out to the farm and shot pistols with a friend and his 18 y/o son last Sunday, to help him determine what he'd like to purchase for CC. That was the first time I'd pulled the trigger on a live round since September, 2016 (the last batch of range pics I posted here...).

Up next is sighting the VX-HOG in (and a review, pursuant to 'The Rule'), and trying out some DRT 168s (with range report, again, pursuant to 'The Rule').

I'm still rolling pennies for my Sig SRD762TiQD. So the appropriate muzzle brake will be installed at some point. Then I can sell this SEI brake to @AngelDeVille. I haven't forgotten about you, Angel!

LR-308T w HOG Cropped.jpg

Edited by COBrien