• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

One piece scope mount

shepp

Go ahead and insight the rule if you guys think this is a wise choice. 

Anyone running of of these? 

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/cantilever-ring-mount-for-30mm-riflescope-tube-2-inch-offset

I plan on ordering this scope 

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-16x24-sfp-scope-with-patented-acss-300bo-762x39-reticle/p/pa1-6x24sfp-acss-300bo/

on my soon to be here faxon arak21 upper, I've got the Nikon P series on my other AR's. I originally was running a Burris p.e.p.e.r and I couldn't get my head lined up right with it. OR if there's any other recommendations I'm open just don't wanna spend a ton of money. 

I have a little feeler gauge set that I use, but you could use anything. A cut stack of index cards would work. Basically just set the scope on the rail. Add or remove cards until you have it at a perfect height. Throw a strip of masking tape around it so you can get a good feel for it. Measure the stack and compare that to available mounts. Just remember some mounts measure from the rail to the bottom of the ring while some measure from rail to center line. 

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

If you do rings, get the Warne Maxima steel rings, either QD or non-QD.  I love those things.

On another note, I just received an Aero Precision 1" SPR mount.  That thing is damn nice.

Thank you sir! 

Did you get the FDE one they had onsale?

@shepp looks like you may run into the same issue I have with my raised VLTOR and PRI top rails. The one piece mounts are generally too tall. The ADM RECON S and RECON SL are pretty low. GGG also makes a low one for bolt action rifles. These are not cantilever mounts, but since the gun has a continuous top rail you don't need the offset.

It really depends on the OD of the scope objective and how much clearance you need. Remember to measure. The objective size listed is the inner lense, not the OD. I have 2 42mm obj scopes and there is about a 4mm difference in OD between them. Makes a big difference when trying to figure out what rings to get. 

I spend ALOT of time on this crap, but I'm generally pretty happy with the results. In the pics you posted, the guy sitting with the 1-4 scope looks terrible. Way too high to be comfortable, and the more height over bore of your scope, the more issue with parallax you will have. 

Edited by blue109

12 hours ago, blue109 said:

@shepp looks like you may run into the same issue I have with my raised VLTOR and PRI top rails. The one piece mounts are generally too tall. The ADM RECON S and RECON SL are pretty low. GGG also makes a low one for bolt action rifles. These are not cantilever mounts, but since the gun has a continuous top rail you don't need the offset.

It really depends on the OD of the scope objective and how much clearance you need. Remember to measure. The objective size listed is the inner lense, not the OD. I have 2 42mm obj scopes and there is about a 4mm difference in OD between them. Makes a big difference when trying to figure out what rings to get. 

I spend ALOT of time on this crap, but I'm generally pretty happy with the results. In the pics you posted, the guy sitting with the 1-4 scope looks terrible. Way too high to be comfortable, and the more height over bore of your scope, the more issue with parallax you will have. 

Thanks for the input once again, I'll take your first advice and wait till I get the scope in hand