• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My first 308

Deplorable1

I recently purchased my first 308, it's a DPMS sportical which I picked up at academy for $699. I will be modding this to be my long range rifle since I already have a .223 and 300blk. Since the sportical has a slick sided upper I went ahead and ordered a Aero Precision upper with forward assist and dust cover (pre-installed) for $140 from Red barn armory. Since I'm going to be changing uppers I am gonna go ahead and upgrade the barrel as well. I have my mind set on a 20 inch. barrel. My question is since I'm going from a 16 to 20 inch barrel do I need a longer gas tube and if so what length?

In all honesty the difference in 16 or 18" barrel to 20" I would stay with the 16" and save the weight. unless your planning on shooting comp with it I'd save my money for optics, hell I wouldn't have ordered the new upper to swap either, but that's me?

2 minutes ago, shepp said:

In all honesty the difference in 16 or 18" barrel to 20" I would stay with the 16" and save the weight. unless your planning on shooting comp with it I'd save my money for optics, hell I wouldn't have ordered the new upper to swap either, but that's me?

Just personal preference having the forward assist and dust cover, and I've also wanted a 308 specifically for distance, basically looking at this as a budget semi auto sniper rifle if that makes sense. My other two rifles are close quarters combat ready. I Invision this 308 with a 20 inch barrel, keymod handguard, bipod, Nikon or vortex optics, and magpul stock.

10 hours ago, Deplorable1 said:

Does anyone own or have experience with this barrel? 

https://www.andersonrifles.com/product/20-308-barrel/

The Rule has opened !:laffs:

As others have said , the 16" 308 is quite sufficient to 5-600 yards , at least a good barrel ,with good ammo & a good shooter , but if you want a 20" , thats fine also , I have one & a 16" & the 20" does shoot tighter groups ( both are Criterion HB ), but not enough for me to use another 20" , if I was to build another .

The Forward assist will some what work , not like the AR 15, depending on where the Forward assist is on the Upper , most 308AR's are too high on the Upper receiver to engage on any notches on the Bolt Carrier , like the AR 15 , they hit on a shoulder on a 308AR BC . 
 There is a company , not sure if it was Areo or who ever , makes a Upper with the FA in the same area as the AR 15 & a BCG to match , with the same notches for the FA .

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

The Rule has opened !:laffs:

As others have said , the 16" 308 is quite sufficient to 5-600 yards , at least a good barrel ,with good ammo & a good shooter , but if you want a 20" , thats fine also , I have one & a 16" & the 20" does shoot tighter groups ( both are Criterion HB ), but not enough for me to use another 20" , if I was to build another .

The Forward assist will some what work , not like the AR 15, depending on where the Forward assist is on the Upper , most 308AR's are too high on the Upper receiver to engage on any notches on the Bolt Carrier , like the AR 15 , they hit on a shoulder on a 308AR BC . 
 There is a company , not sure if it was Areo or who ever , makes a Upper with the FA in the same area as the AR 15 & a BCG to match , with the same notches for the FA .

Sounds like my best bet would be to just sell my upper and buy one that already has a 20 inch barrel with FA, dust cover, and hand guard...

1 hour ago, Deplorable1 said:

Sounds like my best bet would be to just sell my upper and buy one that already has a 20 inch barrel with FA, dust cover, and hand guard...

I don't wanna sound like an ass, nor want to scare you off. But just seems silly to spend that money on the rifle (not set up how you wanted) then almost completely reconfigure it. I understand parts are scarus right now. Again that's my opinion tho.

im pretty sure I've seen some guys inquire about andersons barrels in the past, have you tried a search? 

Why is a forward assist and dustcover so important to you? I've used ARs for my job/s the past 8 years of my life, the only time I ever needed a forward assist was when I was doing night ops in the stan and as we went outside the wire in the pitch black we would slightly bring back the bolt to finger check that a round was chambered, we would then release the charging handle, let it go forward that short amount, and then push the forward assist. no other time did I have need for the thing, all it did for me was catch carbon on the inside and dirt on the outside. so I don't believe it is needed for anyone not in a combat zone doing night ops.

as for the dustcover, that is slightly more useful, but the average person isn't crawling around in dirt and mud abusing their weapons. when ready to rock, the bolt is already forward covering the ejection port, so chances of debris getting in is minimal for the average hunter/target shooter. and when the bolt is open, you are either letting your weapon cool down, reloading, or having it open to visibly show the weapon is clear on the range. again this is another part that collects dust and dirt and is difficult to clean around, and simply not needed for the average person outside of a combat zone.

I understand personal preferences, we all have them; but maybe think about need vs want and if it is even really worth it. and I have to agree with shepp, it seems very silly to spend money on a rifle that it seems like you want to change everything on except the lower. I suggest getting some nice glass, shoot what you got, it may surprise you how much you like the simplicity of the setup, and it may be as accurate as you need it to be already. besides, most of the time, the weapons are more accurate than the shooters that wield them.

1 hour ago, shepp said:

I don't wanna sound like an ass, nor want to scare you off. But just seems silly to spend that money on the rifle (not set up how you wanted) then almost completely reconfigure it. I understand parts are scarus right now. Again that's my opinion tho.

im pretty sure I've seen some guys inquire about andersons barrels in the past, have you tried a search? 

Yeah I know but at that price point I didn't mind, like you said parts have been very scarce I've been sitting by waiting on things to come in stock for almost a year now. I really had my mind set on buying a PA-10 upper and lower but I couldn't tell you the last time ive see those in stock. And I'm still figuring this site out I'll see if I can find something about the Anderson barrels.

Plenty of 308AR Barrels available out there , but have you shot this rifle in its configuration ?  Nothing wrong with having two distinctly different configured Upper assemblies . 

I can tell you a good FCG , (Trigger ) will make a BIG difference . DPMS Barrels on the most part , are good shooters . Good long range barrels are not cheap , both mine are touching $ 400 ea..

I have never owned a PA manufactured anything , but from what we have been through here with the issues some post here  , I know I'm not interested in them .

3 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Why is a forward assist and dustcover so important to you? I've used ARs for my job/s the past 8 years of my life, the only time I ever needed a forward assist was when I was doing night ops in the stan and as we went outside the wire in the pitch black we would slightly bring back the bolt to finger check that a round was chambered, we would then release the charging handle, let it go forward that short amount, and then push the forward assist. no other time did I have need for the thing, all it did for me was catch carbon on the inside and dirt on the outside. so I don't believe it is needed for anyone not in a combat zone doing night ops.

as for the dustcover, that is slightly more useful, but the average person isn't crawling around in dirt and mud abusing their weapons. when ready to rock, the bolt is already forward covering the ejection port, so chances of debris getting in is minimal for the average hunter/target shooter. and when the bolt is open, you are either letting your weapon cool down, reloading, or having it open to visibly show the weapon is clear on the range. again this is another part that collects dust and dirt and is difficult to clean around, and simply not needed for the average person outside of a combat zone.

I understand personal preferences, we all have them; but maybe think about need vs want and if it is even really worth it. and I have to agree with shepp, it seems very silly to spend money on a rifle that it seems like you want to change everything on except the lower. I suggest getting some nice glass, shoot what you got, it may surprise you how much you like the simplicity of the setup, and it may be as accurate as you need it to be already. besides, most of the time, the weapons are more accurate than the shooters that wield them.

I have different rifles setup for different purposes, as I mentioned earlier I already have a 223 and 300blk for short to midrange I'm not looking to have a 308 setup to shoot cqb. I'm not a hunter I just believe in exercising my 2nd amendment right and being ready for when the SHTF if that ever occurs. Different scenarios require different setups and I prefer to be ready in any situation. I admit it was an impulse buy and If nothing else I'm sure I can sell the gun for what I paid for it and start from scratch. 

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Plenty of 308AR Barrels available out there , but have you shot this rifle in its configuration ?  Nothing wrong with having two distinctly different configured Upper assemblies . 

I can tell you a good FCG , (Trigger ) will make a BIG difference . DPMS Barrels on the most part , are good shooters . Good long range barrels are not cheap , both mine are touching $ 400 ea..

I have never owned a PA manufactured anything , but from what we have been through here with the issues some post here  , I know I'm not interested in them .

I second the PSA statement and the dpms barrels. I've got an 18" on my factory rifle it shoots great, I do understand the upgrading of the rifle you got as it pretty much came as a blank canvas

Deplorable    you said "  Yeah I know but at that price point I didn't mind, like you said parts have been very scarce I've been sitting by waiting on things to come in stock for almost a year now "     geeez where is your google fu ?  I just got thru building another lower and had every part I wanted at my place within a week. It sounds as though you are conflicted in making choices for your build....first off waiting a year? is that for the PA?  Well its a piece o crap in the first place,and they prolly wont be bringing it back... So then you buy a complete DPMS and now you want to build up another upper for long distance? The sporticle that you have will shoot a very long distance with some good optics...but you said this too "I'm not a hunter I just believe in exercising my 2nd amendment right and being ready for when the SHTF if that ever occurs. Different scenarios require different setups and I prefer to be ready in any situation"

so this one's for you....:laffs:    Wash

36 minutes ago, shepp said:

I second the PSA statement and the dpms barrels. I've got an 18" on my factory rifle it shoots great, I do understand the upgrading of the rifle you got as it pretty much came as a blank canvas

Thank you for understanding, had I built this gun from the ground up then I would have obviously put the things on it that I wanted but anybody who buys a stock rifle at a gun store is going to upgrade it at least with an aftermarket furniture kit if nothing else. People buy brand new vehicles and spend tons of money on aftermarket parts all the time because they like it, it's the same thing.

50 minutes ago, washguy said:

Deplorable    you said "  Yeah I know but at that price point I didn't mind, like you said parts have been very scarce I've been sitting by waiting on things to come in stock for almost a year now "     geeez where is your google fu ?  I just got thru building another lower and had every part I wanted at my place within a week. It sounds as though you are conflicted in making choices for your build....first off waiting a year? is that for the PA?  Well its a piece o crap in the first place,and they prolly wont be bringing it back... So then you buy a complete DPMS and now you want to build up another upper for long distance? The sporticle that you have will shoot a very long distance with some good optics...but you said this too "I'm not a hunter I just believe in exercising my 2nd amendment right and being ready for when the SHTF if that ever occurs. Different scenarios require different setups and I prefer to be ready in any situation"

so this one's for you....:laffs:    Wash

If you read my initial post the only question I asked was how hard is it to switch from a 16-20 inch barrel and would I need to change the bcg or gas tube. I didn't start down this rabbit hole, only asked a simple question.

Well ,you will need a rifle length Gas Tube , almost all 20" + Barrels are Rifle Length , a longer Hand Guard & Gas Block .  Depending on how you want to set up the Hand Guard , A2 or a Free Float .

If you want to change the Upper , You will have to look around for a Forward assist . I have a Fulton Armory , a real early one on my DPMS Lower & it has a Forward Assist , but don't see it on their sight .It fits like it was made by DPMS & may have been back then & has worked fine for a long time http://www.fulton-armory.com/upper-receiver-far-308-flattop-dpms-low-height.aspx

My 16" also is a DPMS & has a Tactical Machining Upper on it & also fits & works fine , the only thing that i had to do was change out the Pivot & Disassembly Pins that came with it , for some reason the DPMS Pins were too tight to fit in the Uppers Pin holes .

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/firearms-parts/308-upper-receiver/tm-308-stripped-upper-receiver.html

We don't always like to use different manufacturers Receivers , because of fitment issues ( Tolerance Stacking ) these two seem to have no issues with DPMS made Lowers .

Edited by survivalshop

On 11/1/2016 at 6:46 PM, Deplorable1 said:

Does anyone own or have experience with this barrel? 

https://www.andersonrifles.com/product/20-308-barrel/

I've got one of their 16" 308 barrels that I used in my Matrix Aerospace build. I haven't gotten back out to the range to put it on paper after I wrung the bugs out of the gun and got it functioning okay. I will say this, the chamber in my Anderson barrel is tighter than the chamber in my DPMS LR308B. The reloads I did a while back work fine in the DPMS but gave me fits in my Matrix gun. I switched to factory ammo and the problems went away. The reloads were made with a set of standard set of 308 dies and I've since ordered a 308 small base sizer die and resized the brass that I had already resized with the old die and could definitely feel the new die sizing the brass down more.The tighter chamber in the Anderson barrel COULD result in better groups but I haven't had the chance to find out yet. If you reload make sure you use a small base sizer die, you're a lot better off in the long run.