• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 vs. 7.62x39mm

What do you mean "match up"? The 7.62X39 Russian is considered an intermediate cartridge while the .308 (7.62X51) is a  "full size" rifle cartridge. I don't even think they actually use the same bullets. If not mistaken I think the 7.62X39 uses .311 dia bullets.

For hunting ,it would be the .308 , of course.

-More bullet choices for hunting ( a lot more ) .

-Ballistics's, far superior in just about every way.

-More plateform choices available for the .308 , for hunting.

The 7.62x39 will work for hunting & I know they make a hollow point load for it , but how it performs ,well I can't say.

Can't be done. I'm not positive but I believe that the 7.62X39 AR's are built on the AR-15 platform and not the .308 AR platform because the cartridge is closer in length and power to the .223 than it is to the .308, why would you want to build an underpowered overweight  large platform AR when the smaller receiver will accommodate the rd. Now don't take this for fact but as I recall when I was looking at building a 7.62X39 AR, the thing that made me go with the 300BLK instead was that in order to build one you need a proprietary AR lower that accepts the AK mags. You may find the two links interesting.

http://www.quarterbore.com/kac/sr47.html

http://www.ar-47.com/pics.html

I don't know for sure, but I would guess yes and yes. I sold my gi mags, and only have oe colt and cproduct mags for it, and believe it or not I don't currently own a .223  to test that theory. But if the gi mags work why not pmags. As for building one you'll have to ask the pros, I don't have experience there

So, does that mean that you can build a 7.62X39 AR 15 using GI .223 mags and all you have to do is use a 7.62X39 barrel and bcg? if so can you use pmags as well?

You can load 7.62x39 in a standard AR mag, but you can't get very many rounds in there. The taper of the x39 cartridge case is what screws you.  I don't own a rifle in this config, but the research beforehand is the reason I don't.  I didn't want to stockpile a bunch of AR mags that have a curve like an AK mag - starting over on building up, basically.  Just wasn't for me.  <dontknow>

For some reason, I'm okay with building up .308 PMags, though...  ;D

Used some heavy posterboard, a long-bladed razor utility knife, and plenty of patience.  ;D

Laid out two pieces of the posterboard and taped them together.  Put the rifle on the posterboard and traced around it.  Cut it out.  Laid the rifle on the cutout, determined that it was about 1/4" too large in every direction/measurement/trace.  Lined the cutout again, inward 1/4", and cut it out again.  Laid the rifle on that, determined the cutout was slightly smaller than the rifle (this is what I was looking for, and a tight fit). 

Before I cut a single thing, I laid everything out in the case, and positioned all the components where I wanted them.  I did further tracings/cutouts for 2 Pmags, 4 Pmags, the bipod, and the sling.  Once I had a bunch of cutouts, I laid them out on the foam together, just to check spacing. 

Laid those things out on the foam and got busy with the razor knife.  <thumbsup>