• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ambi Mag Release

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the Norgon Ambi on one rifle, and I like it.  I'm not sure yet if I like it enough, or would use it enough, to put it on all the other ARs.  I'm right-handed, but shoot with both, so I practice both sides.  Mag drops are definitely better with it, left handed, there's no doubt.  Like any other weapons configuration change that you make, you'll definitely have to train for it to use it to it's designed potential. 

My opinion is that if I really need to make a mag change when shooting left handed, then it's paying for itself - I better hope that's the rifle I have at the time that I need it.  If I need to make repeated left-handed mag changes, I need to find myself a better shooting position...  <thumbsup>

If you're left-handed, it will definitely benefit you.  Troy makes one, but I haven't even seen one yet, much less used it.

There shouldn't be any compatability issues with it.  It's the exact same outer size as a standard mag release, so it'll fit anything that a standard mag release fits.  Hold on for a few and I'll grab some pics...    <thumbsup>

I have this mag release on an AR-15 and find that the BAD lever blocks it somewhat. It's still possible to accuate but you don't have access to the back edge of the mag release so it's harder to hit it quickly, or so I have found in my experience. Might not be an issue on a .308

I have the Norgon and the Troy Industries and have used both on an Stag AR-15 in a couple of matches.  I am now switching all of my AR pattern rifles over to the Troy.  it's much easier to hit with the larger action surface.  Both worked on the DPMS LR-308, but the Troy was easier to activate.

Don

NL7CO,

Maybe you can answer a question about the Troy release. In the pics it looks as though the tab on the left that you depress to dump the mag, works like a lever, using the side of the receiver as the fulcrum to "pull" the mag release. while the Norgon is fully self contained and has the lever built in to the release button. If this is correct, can you tell me if you've noticed any wear on the side of the receiver where the lever bears on it to pull the release? I was just wondering if I should expect that I will end up with the hardcoat worn off the receiver over time if I were to run one?

• 5 months later...