• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LIGHT WEIGHT SCOPE?

JJ109

Alright guys looking for a light weight scope preferring 3x or up to 6x power. It can be fixed magnification or variable. Something with an etched reticle or permanent reticle. I have 2 red dots now which are light weight but trying to not depend on batteries. The lightest scope i found is the vortex spitfire 3x prism scope with the EBR 556 reticle. Its 15.4 oz.

Dont know if there is anything lighter than this without using a redot? 

20 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

The carry handle models are 9.9 oz. If you want a flat top adapter, dust covers, and BUIS it will be just shy of 15 oz but that ain't bad for a mini tank.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA01NSN

When I did that filter, it surprised me they were on there.  They certainly do feel like solid little objects.

I was also surprised the Trijicon battery-free rifle scopes were on there as well.  Amazingly bright and clear optics there.  And you pay for it.

The Zeiss were on there, at a very resonable price.  Comparable to the Vortex weight-wise.

However, a decade ago when I last worked retail, we were getting reports from customers that had booked African safaris, that they had been told their rifles were NOT to have Zeiss optics due to heat sensitivity.

I'd think that surely that issue had been resolved in the past decade.

2 minutes ago, JJ109 said:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA33-C-400130

This is 7.7 oz .  Not sure if thats with the mount that is included or just the weight of the scope.?  

That's everything there in the photo.  There is a noticeable difference in a side-by-side comparison to the ACOG and Compact ACOG.

3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

The carry handle models are 9.9 oz. If you want a flat top adapter, dust covers, and BUIS it will be just shy of 15 oz but that ain't bad for a mini tank.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA01NSN

15 ounces for a complete setup isn't bad. Most scope mounts weigh 10+ ounces by themselves, unless you go with rings. 

3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Never noticed the 3x compact version before. That is a featherweight at under 8 oz.

To bad you have to pay so much for every ounce that isn't there!

Yea your not kidding. The vortex 3x prism scope is 1/4 of the cost but  wieghs 2 times as much. 

Edited by JJ109

6 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Never noticed the 3x compact version before. That is a featherweight at under 8 oz.

To bad you have to pay so much for every ounce that isn't there!

Decades ago the formula for motorcycles was $400 per pound not there.  I'd say it's triple that for firearms these days.