• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pork hunting in Florida?

dpete

With an upcoming vacation coming in March 2017 to Florida I've been wondering what the pig hunting possibilities are that time of year if any.  My wife and I will be staying in the Inverness area the week of March 12 - 18 and travelling a reasonable distance to hunt is expected.  I have hunted deer here in Wisconsin for over 25 years and have the choice of 4 AR rifle calibers to use.  A .223 Colt M4 (too small I'm thinking), a 16" barrelled 300BLK, a 8" 300 BLK pistol/SBR (NFA headaches understood), a 6.5 Grendel, and a .308.  I have a suppressor I can use on the Grendel up through the .308, it currently lives on the SBR.  The two major things I have no knowledge of for this idea are the animal and the area.  Any help would be appreciated and any offer from a member here to take this yankee out pig hunting would definitely warrant further discussion.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The Withlacoochee State Forest is 7 miles from where we will be. Anyone out there with info on opportunities there? The brochure from the Citrus Wildlife Management Area is a bit blurry on whether or not hog hunting is allowed that time of year(March 13-17). A phone # for Florida fish and wildlife is provided so clarrification can be had there I hope.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/

Wild hog

Statewide

Year-round by all legal rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, crossbows, bows, pistols and air guns. Hunting license not required. Wild hogs also may be trapped but cannot be transported alive without permit from the Florida Dept. of Agriculture at 850-410-0900. (D)

Bag Limit: No Limits

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Wild hog

Statewide

Year-round by all legal rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, crossbows, bows, pistols and air guns. Hunting license not required. Wild hogs also may be trapped but cannot be transported alive without permit from the Florida Dept. of Agriculture at 850-410-0900. (D)

Sounds like we need a meet-up in Florida!

On 12/24/2016 at 5:36 PM, survivalshop said:

Wild hog

Statewide

That is great to see but at the top of this page  http://myfwc.com/hunting/season-dates/ they add to the confusion. 

2016-2017 Resident Game and Furbearer
Florida Hunting Season Dates

You may also download the 2016-17 Season Dates Adobe PDF in a printable format.

Seasons and dates are not applicable to wildlife management areas and other lands managed by the Commission.

So wildlife management areas like Citrus have their own rules?

I just answered my own question by calling Florida fish and game.  The hunting regulations that survivalshop sited is for private lands.  Each wildlife management area has its own regs and in Citrus hogs are only legal to take during small game season.  This info is from the woman at FWC that I spoke with in an attempt to clarify this whole mess.  It sounds as if my best bet is to do some investigating on my own and seeing if there may be any landowners that want some pigs to disappear.

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2016 at 10:15 AM, dpete said:

With an upcoming vacation coming in March 2017 to Florida I've been wondering what the pig hunting possibilities are that time of year if any.  My wife and I will be staying in the Inverness area the week of March 12 - 18 and travelling a reasonable distance to hunt is expected.  I have hunted deer here in Wisconsin for over 25 years and have the choice of 4 AR rifle calibers to use.  A .223 Colt M4 (too small I'm thinking), a 16" barrelled 300BLK, a 8" 300 BLK pistol/SBR (NFA headaches understood), a 6.5 Grendel, and a .308.  I have a suppressor I can use on the Grendel up through the .308, it currently lives on the SBR.  The two major things I have no knowledge of for this idea are the animal and the area.  Any help would be appreciated and any offer from a member here to take this yankee out pig hunting would definitely warrant further discussion.  Thanks

FYI anyone else looking to eradicate some cockroaches there are some monsters here in central and western FL.  There was an 1,100 pounder of legend taken not 30 minutes from where you stayed back in 2004 they had to put it in a front loader.  Certainly an abnormally  large hog due to some special circumstances.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bighog.asp

If you go with a good hog outfit a 200 pounder will be on the low side they are literally everywhere.  Especially this year the acorn drop was bizarre they drop like this on certain years someone explained to me the hows and whys can't recall exact reasons.  They don't guarantee size usually at these hunting camps, but they take care of everything down to the processing.  There are even some places who will set up up with a 15K thermal semi-auto for hight hunts!  Don't be surprised to find a 3-4-500 pounders.  I had an ~ 300 pounder charge the foot of my stand yesterday morning about 6 am when I was doe bleating in the dark he was ornery!  He sloshed out of the swamp, crashed through palmettos and made a bee line for the ladder close to 100 yards just to chck it out.  I green lighted him and he just stood there snorting for several minutes.  Contrary to what many people believe feral hogs are omnivores they will eat anything they can get their disgusting  face into

Edited by buttonbuck

14 hours ago, buttonbuck said:

FYI anyone else looking to eradicate some cockroaches there are some monsters here in central and western FL.  There was an 1,100 pounder of legend taken not 30 minutes from where you stayed back in 2004 they had to put it in a front loader.  Certainly an abnormally  large hog due to some special circumstances.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bighog.asp

If you go with a good hog outfit a 200 pounder will be on the low side they are literally everywhere.  Especially this year the acorn drop was bizarre they drop like this on certain years someone explained to me the hows and whys can't recall exact reasons.  They don't guarantee size usually at these hunting camps, but they take care of everything down to the processing.  There are even some places who will set up up with a 15K thermal semi-auto for hight hunts!  Don't be surprised to find a 3-4-500 pounders.  I had an ~ 300 pounder charge the foot of my stand yesterday morning about 6 am when I was doe bleating in the dark he was ornery!  He sloshed out of the swamp, crashed through palmettos and made a bee line for the ladder close to 100 yards just to chck it out.  I green lighted him and he just stood there snorting for several minutes.  Contrary to what many people believe feral hogs are omnivores they will eat anything they can get their disgusting  face into

Did you blast him?