• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

shortening the barrel

Last year I stopped by the DPMS booth at the NRA National Meeting in Louisville.  I asked there about putting a shorter barrel on my RFLR-308.  The factory barrel is the 24" bull barrel.  They (DPMS) told me not to shorten the barrel, that it would screw up the gas system and in turn, the cycling.  Anyone care to give their thoughts on this?  If I were to shorten, I would like to get it down to 22 or 20, no shorter than that.  And, if I did go shorter, should I just have my current barrel shortened, or get a new barrel (which would give me the option of a lighter weight profile)?  I do like the factory barrel, except for the length.  It definitely is capable of more precision than I am!

I would guess the bbl. is a rifle length gas system & the bbl's. gas port may be sized for the longer barrel , but doubt it & it should shoot fine .

The decision of cutting the barrel down or setting up a new one is your call , most likely much less expensive to have it shortened then purchase a new one .Companies like ADCO or someone else , just ask them to check the Gas Port in the Barrel to see if it is set up as one of theirs is for what ever barrel length you chose .