• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Suppressor Alignment

jtallen83

I've been busy getting all my rifles set up for suppressor use, installing muzzle devices and checking alignment. A couple are making me a bit nervous with how close the gauge is to the edge on the end cap. They all pass the test as it is given in the instructions for the Geissele alignment gauge, passing through the suppressor without making any contact.

My 300 BO;

300BO.JPG

My 716;

716.JPG

My Matrix 308 build;

Matrix.JPG

and the closest, my AR-10(this one has not been torqued with rockset applied yet;

AR-10.JPG

I learned a good lesson on shooting cheap ammo, 100 rounds of the Grizzle ammo and my SLR block is locked up tight. There is some kind of filler in the powder that has caked up everything on and in the pistol, even left a covering of black dust on the range bench. Once I shoot it up that will be enough of that!

100_5537.JPG

Edited by jtallen83

24 minutes ago, Sisco said:

That Russian Grizzly crap is just that. I won't even shoot it in my digest everything AK. It is definetely the cheapest of the cheap.

This is American made.....but still crap.

https://www.grizzlycartridge.com/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/grizzly-cartridge-300-aac-blackout-220gr-hard-cast-lrn-sub-sonic-ammunition-20rds-gc300bl-r2.html

I'll be damned if that doesn't look JUST LIKE some corn-cob cleaning media.  Like they didn't shake the cases out after polishing them - just dumped powder in there and went with it...

18 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I learned a good lesson on shooting cheap ammo, 100 rounds of the Grizzle ammo and my SLR block is locked up tight. There is some kind of filler in the powder that has caked up everything on and in the pistol, even left a covering of black dust on the range bench. Once I shoot it up that will be enough of that!

100_5537.JPG

12 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I'll be damned if that doesn't look JUST LIKE some corn-cob cleaning media.  Like they didn't shake the cases out after polishing them - just dumped powder in there and went with it...

Hunh.  Corn cob.

And JT's from Iowa.

Just a coincidence, I'm sure.  :laffs:

So I'm wrong, it isn't a filler just the residue from the burnt powder. I yanked some bullets from the three loads I've been shooting, the size and shape of the powder and the fact that I had not seen this residue before shooting the Grizzly ammo still points to it being the culprit. I've have seen something very similar in some MAXXTech 9mm made in Bosnia.

The powder from the Grizzly 220 gr ammo;

Griz.thumb.JPG.05b897ad03c07c01a7ddf898c87327b6.JPG

The S&B 200gr ammo;

58c736cfc96e1_SB.thumb.JPG.5971509774bb7660642e6570331ad7c6.JPG

The Freedom Munitions 208 grain load;

Freedom.thumb.JPG.694c203a7d3d59cd4b05d7036b9f2cd3.JPG

Edited by jtallen83
completeness