• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tell me more about my rifle; can't find it on the 'net

clubmanager

Hi,

I recently purchased an Armalite 7.62 that says Cal Multi, SPR Mod2A. Serial number is AP002445 FWIW.

The info I find on the net says it's a california model but there's no bullet button. I also see reference to the defensive rifles (something like that anyway, the beginning is DEF) but mine has Magpul CTS stock and a keymod handguard; it also came with magpul backup sights. 

So, all in all, I see similarities to some but not all and simply cannot find out anything about it. I'd like to see the technical specs re: barrel, trigger, lpk, etc. etc. I emailed Armalite yesterday but am looking for all I can get. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, clubmanager said:

Hi,

I recently purchased an Armalite 7.62 that says Cal Multi, SPR Mod2A. Serial number is AP002445

There was also a trigger recall on some of these rifles, but your rifle is not affected by the recall, provided the serial number is correct.  So, if you hear about that, don't worry about it.

2 hours ago, clubmanager said:

Hi,

I recently purchased an Armalite 7.62 that says Cal Multi, SPR Mod2A. Serial number is AP002445 FWIW.

The info I find on the net says it's a california model but there's no bullet button. I also see reference to the defensive rifles (something like that anyway, the beginning is DEF) but mine has Magpul CTS stock and a keymod handguard; it also came with magpul backup sights. 

So, all in all, I see similarities to some but not all and simply cannot find out anything about it. I'd like to see the technical specs re: barrel, trigger, lpk, etc. etc. I emailed Armalite yesterday but am looking for all I can get. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section

Thanks y'all. Bought it on gunbroker as I wanted to replace an AR10T I sold a few years back. Before I fire it, just wanted to see if it was comparable......and yes, I should have done all the before buying it, not after! ;)

And, I have seen that thread before. It isn't the same gun. If I can figure it out, I will post a pic.

Edited by clubmanager

It's still an Armalite AR-10.  That stamping of "SPR Mod2A" is only there to confuse California politicians, and make the rifle legal for sale in that state.  It doesn't mean that it's a Cali-compliant rifle - just that it was made to meet the criteria for sale into that state.

For all intents and purposes, it might not even be a full factory rifle at all - previous owner might have changed all that stuff on it, then sold it on GB.  You might be chasing your tail trying to make it "fit" a factory offering, as it might not even be one...

Bloody hell, I didn't even think about that.....jeez. I feel silly now; it's a new gun but yeah, someone might have upgraded it. Will advise once Armalite weighs in. Fwiw, it looks exactly like the new 'tactical' series. I wonder if I have a hybrid where they were using up some old parts. Gonna shoot it this week, that's what counts!

Thanks y'all. Bought it on gunbroker as I wanted to replace an AR10T I sold a few years back. Before I fire it, just wanted to see if it was comparable......and yes, I should have done all the before buying it, not after! ;)

Armalite says it's a Def10 issued in 2015. I asked about the handgard and magpul, he says it was likely added on later. I find it hard to believe that someone went to that trouble when they could have simply bought the Tactical 16". It is the proper Armalite keymod handguard and certainly looks like it came with......weird. As to the 'California' reference, it only means it isn't marked AR-10A. I sort of like the SPR2A better anyway ;)

Thanks for the help everyone. I do have to add that if Armalite Customer Service is always this prompt with attention, they are top drawer in my book. I recently sent a question to a smaller company re: a rifle that cost me double and still haven't heard from them; found the answer via a forum.