• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newest Addition To The Stable

mineralman55

Well, I added another AR15 to the stable. These things are like magazines, they just keep accumulating.

AeroPrecision M4E1 upper, AeroPrecision phosphate BCG, Doublestar charging handle, Criterion 1:8 18" Wylde barrel with midlength gas system from MSR Arms, Superlative Arms 0.750" adjustable gas block, SLR mini compensator, Knight's Armament micro iron sights, AeroPrecision lower, ALG trigger. Magpul adjustable buttstock.
Built it on Saturday morning, took it to the range Sunday, and it didn't disappoint. The anodizing on the Aero receivers was very heavy, and fitting the upper to the lower required I file off the upper's attachment lugs a touch. This resulted in an extremely tight upper to lower fit. After trying the Magpul MBUS on the 16", I decided to go back to the Knight's Armament micro sights. These are a much better all around sight. The front sight has a wheel for elevation adjustment, and I especially like the rear sight's positive windage and elevation adjustments. After assembly, it's looked just like it's smaller brother the Aero 16".
Sunday at the range. After 10 shots to get it sighted in, first 5-shot group at 100 yds was 1.5 inches! I couldn't retrieve my target, otherwise I'd post it. Shoots like a dream, perfect function, no FTF or FTE. I never had an ALG trigger before but I like it! It is as crisp as can be, no creep at all, breaks clean. A little heavier than I'd like, but otherwise beautiful trigger. I also like that the ALG came with a slave pin. Made installation a snap. The SA gas block adjustment instructions say screw the adjustment screw all the way in, then 4 1/2 turns out. Start there. For adjustment, screw it in until the action won't cycle, then turn it out 1/4 turn. After some experimentation, I just left it at 4 turns out. It threw all the cases into a small 2ft diameter pile at 5 o'clock about 6 feet away. Perfect. I wasn't certain about the SA gas block at first, as the adjustment screw's detents felt wimpy, not at all like the Syrac gas blocks with their very positive click detent. But the SA is easy to adjust and it seems to hold its position just fine. Recoil was non-existent, and the SLR mini comp works great. It's quieter than a normal birdcage with almost no perceptible muzzle rise.I don't care for the DoubleStar charging handle. It is easy to grasp, but the action is a bit loose and tentative. I may swap this out.
This little pile of parts looks to really be something special.
Installing the barrel on my makeshift vise

bbl_install3.jpg

Superlative Arms adjustable gas block

sa arms gas block.jpg

Close up of SA gas block after installation

superlativearms2.jpg

Comparison to AeroPrecisionUSA 16" AR

Aero Bros1.jpg

Close up of SLR mini-compensator

slr mini comp.jpg

Knights Armament elevation-adjustable front sight

kac front sight.jpg

Edited by mineralman55
added captions

13 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Have you tried the SA gas block in bypass mode or is that in bypass? I can't remember how many turns it was but I had mine all the way out on the matrix build. Curios how the bypass works for 5.56.

I read the instruction card, but didn't see any mention of a "bypass" mode. I'll look again tonight, and if there is such a thing, I'll try it at the next range session and report.

1 hour ago, mineralman55 said:

I read the instruction card, but didn't see any mention of a "bypass" mode. I'll look again tonight, and if there is such a thing, I'll try it at the next range session and report.

I just put one of these on my 6.5 Creedmoor build but haven't tested it as yet.  The bypass mode is a bleed-off setting, if I remember correctly it is out past 4.5 turns, which is the full open setting.  I am going to try that mode first as the Creedmoor is over gassed.  If that doesn't work I'll go back inside 4.5 and it is supposed to turn the gas down like a normal adjustable block.

5 hours ago, EngrBob said:

I just put one of these on my 6.5 Creedmoor build but haven't tested it as yet.  The bypass mode is a bleed-off setting, if I remember correctly it is out past 4.5 turns, which is the full open setting.  I am going to try that mode first as the Creedmoor is over gassed.  If that doesn't work I'll go back inside 4.5 and it is supposed to turn the gas down like a normal adjustable block.

Yep, there's instructions on their website, I know I watched a video on YouTube as well.

Also curious if it will bleed off enough gas to stop function on the 6.5?

According to this video review 4 1/2 turns out is where the bleed off starts, in from there is increasing the restrictive mode, 4 1/2 is like a standard non-adjustable gas block. The direction have you turning it out from that position until you lose function then back one or two clicks, can't remember exactly.

Got to the range again on Saturday. Dodging thunderstorms the whole time, had a great range session. Again, no FTF or FTE with a bunch of reloads, all 77 grain BTHP Noslers. Some BLC2 and AA4064. Okay groups, but the IMI 77 grain BTHP gave me a 1.75" group at 100 yds. With iron sights and these old eyes I'm pleased. I spent a good portion of the day ringing steel plates of various sizes at 100 and 200 yds. That's always satisfying. The Noslers shattered extensively upon striking the plates. One 6inch plate was about 3 feet underneath the pink silhouette, and you can see the shrapnel effects on the target.

With the parts breaking in now after about 200+ rounds, this is coming into its own. I'm enjoying the ALG trigger even more. Wish I'd tried them sooner.

77grbthpsilhouette.jpg

imi77bthp_1.75moa.jpg

in_the_neck.jpg

aero18in.jpg

Edited by mineralman55
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Update: In my initial post I complained about the poor quality/operation of the DoubleStar charging handle. I went back to MidwayUSA where I purchased it, and they said they no longer carried that item, so I'd have to go to the manufacturer. I emailed DoubleStar, and a very nice lady wrote me back within a day. She apologized, said with the volume of charging handles they manufacture one eventually slips out that is substandard. If I'd send her proof of purchase they would gladly send me another. I did, she did. It arrived yesterday and it functions as perfectly as I could want. That's good customer service. Thank you DoubleStar!

On 6/19/2017 at 4:28 AM, mineralman55 said:

in_the_neck.jpg

This is awesome,right here - I'd adjust those sights 1 inch left and 2 inches up, and T-Zone that target head all day long.  That's excellent.  :thumbup: