• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Can Someone Play Detective And Read My Brass

Inthebushes

First the good news, the gun shoots pretty well.  This 8 round group was to be 10.  The 9th round failed to go fully into battery; about 1/2 inch short.  The 10th round was sitting in magazine as shown in photo.  My instinct was to eject the 9th round, but as I moved the charging handle back, it was very easy, not stuck, so I let it go, and it went easily into battery, and then ejected easily.  I had dropped the magazine, so I took a photo of that round as it was.  The 10th round has a long, deep scratch on the brass, and pretty deep dent in the bullet.  The scratch seems to be a rotating scratch, I'm guessing the 9th round, but I have never seen this before.  The dent, I can't explain.  The malfunction, I can't explain.  Any ideas?  New brass, pmag.  Also I'm seeing a dent on the shoulder of the 9th round, and I have seen this exact dent on several fires cases from this new gun.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the bolt was rotating as designed, during rearward travel, and contacted that round.  The distance between scratches supports that - match the bolt lugs up to the distance between those scratches and see if that's the deal.

That piece of brass with the dent directly on the shoulder?  I'd get rid of that one.  I'll normally see dents in 5.56 brass - and just chamber them and shoot it - let the "fire-forming" take that dent right out. I wouldn't do that with the one you're showing...

Edited by 98Z5V

Suppressor probably to blame for the dirty cases.  Gun was clean and brass was new and shiny when I fired the first round.  Can't understand why the bolt would just stop.  It wasn't in a bind reward or forward after I moved it.  I'm thinking now something has to be wrong with the upper.  I can't look at it right now, but something had to stop that bolt mid flight.  It wasn't the ammo, I checked it before and after.  As for the dented shoulder, I have seen several of those with this gun.  I've got to stop that as well.  What causes that?  I did polish and smooth the ramps before installing the barrel, but maybe I need to go back?

7 hours ago, Inthebushes said:

Greased the shiny spots with bearing grease, polished a bur on the chamber neck, used a 25 round Pmag, and shot this 25 round group with no issues using factory Hornady American Gunner 140 grain.

Nice group for sure, is that at 100 yards? 

The wear looks a little heavy from what I've experienced, 3,000+ rounds on an AR-10 and it doesn't show anything like that.

I'm a little concerned about the wear after less than a 100 rounds.  The gun has a weird finish, I'm not really sure what it is, I bought it on sale.  This is my first AR10.  Like you, I have other ARs with many more rounds, that show almost no wear.  I'm hoping it's just knocking the paint off in the high spots and will settle down, and be reliable.  The groups are 50 yards.  I have a 50 yard and 250 yard set up just off my basement.  It's just the way it work out with existing dirt banks, and cows, and things.  It's a very convenient set up, I can load and shoot from the same spot.  Once I settle on a load for the gun, I'll post some 250 yard groups.  They should be very similar (you know that is BS).  What is considered an acceptable group for these guns at 250 yards?

Who is the manufacturer of that Upper Receiver ?

The wear pattern is concerning , the Charging Handle is rubbing pretty hard on that Receiver & you should run a New 308AR build wet , keeping lubricant out of the Chamber , but don't be shy with it for about five hundred rounds . Some require less of a round count to get to normal oiling , but I like them wet to break them in , some here used Mobil  1 Syn. oil to break them in . I don't have an issue with a dab or two of Synthetic grease or Gun Slick grease , the Black granite looking stuff , not a lot , I will sometimes put a small dab on the back side of the Bolts locking lugs & Cam Pin , if stiff to lock , but still Head Races OK .

Just Polishing the Feed Ramps may not be good enough , but if its feeding now , I wouldn't mess with it .

Edited by survivalshop

Aero Precision upper, lower, bolt and carrier, parts kit (minus trigger), and handguard. BCM charging handle.  It's one of the monthly build kits with a camo something, maybe hydro dipped, finish.  Could be something else.  My wife had bought me a PSA lower for Father's Day, but I don't see getting an upper for it anytime soon; they seem to always be out of stock.  I was planning to build 2 AR10s anyway.  I already had the barrels, a Creedmoor and 308, so when I saw these on sale, I went ahead and bought one.  It's the only AP product I have, but their reputation appears to be a pretty good entry level.  Entry level is about what I am and need. There's a lot of the finish inside the upper.  That's why I said I hope it's just the paint wearing off, but it's definitely not wearing evenly.  I don't really care what it looks like as long as it's reliable.  I'll get back to it one day this week.  I have a bunch of hay on the ground, so my play time is up in the air, but the little gun seems to be coming around.  I say little jokingly, I had no idea these guns were so heavy.  I'm use to 7-9 lbs max.  I think the barrel on this gun takes care of most of that.

I'm they same way about running new guns wet.  It's been very wet.  I run all my guns wet and usually clean them while they are still hot.  I think this gun is going to be fine, if it's just the finish wearing off inside the upper.  The other issues, I will eventually work out.  Since I'm new to this platform, I'm not above asking for advise, it saves money.  I appreciate everyone's input, suggestions so far.  I'm thick skinned as well, so don't hold back.

The receivers are tough - that's more initial wear than I've ever seen before, but it's not gonna damage the gun in any way.  Just run good lube.  There's charging handle wear there, in the channel, and I'm betting it's more from the charging handle than the upper machining.  I'll get to more in a second...  There's also wear from the bearing surfaces of the BCG on that upper, and you can see those one the outside of that charging handle channel. 

Now, I've seen reports of a couple BCM/VLTOR charging handles that were machined a little funky lately - but I received my very first one, myself, last week.  The tabs on that thing are fat, and it's TIGHT to snap into the upper receiver - you have to fight it down in, and fight it up out, when removing it. Once it's in the upper, it moves fore and aft freely.   It's not the AP 5.56 upper I have - that thing measures out.  I'll be measuring this new BCM handle against my older ones soon, with pics.

Edited by 98Z5V

Just now, 98Z5V said:

Just run good lube.

FWIW, I've been wrapped up in lube testing for over a year now.  Let's rate this to a "6" on a lube scale.  Almost everything out there runs a 2 on the testing.  M-Pro 7 beats everything else out there, and scores a 3.  Strike Industries Anti-Venom runs a 6...  Yes, it does.

So, I'd recommend, without hesitation, running M-Pro 7, and the SI Anti Venom if you want to spend for it.  Those are the two best out there right now.

There's another one coming that blows everything else out of the water. Testers here have been running that stuff for over  8 months now.  :thumbup:

Not sure what Finnish is on the Camo ones , I did read that the Aero 1776 Parchment builder set is Cerakote , maybe they are all Cerakote , but I've never seen Cerakote  wear off like that before . Like 98 said , maybe a tight fit . 

What does your BCG look like & what finish is on it ?

Looking at a close up , it looks like its flaking off on the inside of the Receiver , I would call or email Aero & ask them about it .

Edited by survivalshop

That's a different story, then - Cerakote will come off in those areas.  I thought this was hard-coat annodized, with the Cerakote over the top of it, just for the camo on the outside.  I bet they Cerakote the whole thing straight from machining, raw aluminum.  Nothing wrong with that. 

I've Cerakoted several uppers and lowers.  At first, I'd blast those things down to bare silver aluminum, and remove all annodizing completely.  I quit doing that, because it's too damn much work in the blast cabinet, and just rough them up now with the blaster.

I wouldn't sweat it - just run good lube.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

That's a different story, then - Cerakote will come off in those areas.  I thought this was hard-coat annodized, with the Cerakote over the top of it, just for the camo on the outside.  I bet they Cerakote the whole thing straight from machining, raw aluminum.  Nothing wrong with that. 

I've Cerakoted several uppers and lowers.  At first, I'd blast those things down to bare silver aluminum, and remove all annodizing completely.  I quit doing that, because it's too damn much work in the blast cabinet, and just rough them up now with the blaster.

I wouldn't sweat it - just run good lube.  :thumbup:

You would think they have the ability to use Receivers in the White .

You say the Creakote wears off with just twenty rounds ?    Why would they coat the inside of the Receivers or is that how its done ? You can tell I know very little about the application of this stuff , I always thought it was some hard $hit .

6 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

You would think they have the ability to use Receivers in the White .

You say the Creakote wears off with just twenty rounds ?    Why would they coat the inside of the Receivers or is that how its done ? You can tell I know very little about the application of this stuff , I always thought it was some hard $hit .

On a bearing surface, it doesn't stay.  It doesn't blow right off, though, and I think this was a 100-round-count description and pics - OP, correct me if I'm wrong.  Cerakote isn't gonna stay on a bearing surface. 

I blasted the first few down to no-coating-anywhere, and Cerakoted everything.  Inside and out. I need to dig those couple ARs out and see the insides.  I don't remember anything like this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. 

On 7/17/2017 at 5:21 AM, Inthebushes said:

image.jpg

I can tell you exactly what's causing this wear mark in the charging handle channel - the small tab on top of the Gunfighter charging handle.  It's highlighted in the red circle in the below pic. It might look severe in the pic above, but that's not into the metal of the receiver - that's just surface coating blown off. 

You can also see in the pics below - my first Gunfighter that's having an issue.  You can see the wear marks on the side tabs, from having to force this thing in and out of the upper - and it's been less than 5 or 6 times...

P1050750.JPG

P1050752.JPG

51 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

On a bearing surface, it doesn't stay.  It doesn't blow right off, though, and I think this was a 100-round-count description and pics - OP, correct me if I'm wrong.  Cerakote isn't gonna stay on a bearing surface. 

I blasted the first few down to no-coating-anywhere, and Cerakoted everything.  Inside and out. I need to dig those couple ARs out and see the insides.  I don't remember anything like this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. 

I think you right about the round count , but thats not a reciprocating component , just how many times do you pull the Charging handle back to do that & if that tab at the top of it is rubbing that much , it could be binding the BCG . Not while the action is in recoil from firing , but just pulling the Charging handle back . I don't have any Creakoted firearms , so can't say one way or the other if this is posed to happen , even with a 100 round count , I don't like it & I don't see any wear anything like that of the AR's I have with thousands of rounds through them . I will make a inspection of all my AR's , thats a job :laffs:

16 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

I don't like it & I don't see any wear anything like that of the AR's I have with thousands of rounds through them . 

Brother, that's comparing to your hard-coat annodized uppers, though.  I don't have any wear like that in any mil-spec Type III Hard Coat Annodizing, either, after 100 rounds.  My old M4A1 looked like that on the insides after 10 years, though.   Maybe worse, I don't know now.  That was a Colt part, issued. 

I need to look at the ones I stripped down then painted.  They've got metric shiit-tons of rounds through them now... 

Edited by 98Z5V
Edited because The Censor doesn't like SHIIT