• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New 6.5 builds

MrPaul

I built 2 6.5s. Just finished the creedmoor and had the grendal done a couple of weeks ago.  I'm embarrassed to say neither has seen the range yet so I don't know how well they shoot.  

The creedmoor is a hellfire armory receiver set with a JP drive train and the grendal is some off brand 80 receiver set with the cheapo odin drive train.  

I've heard the odin setup is very accurate for the price but I'd like to confirm for myself before I shoot my mouth off.  I believe the grendal rifle without the scope and bipod set me back less than 1k.  I haven't weighed it yet but it feels pretty light even with the scope and bipod.  The creedmoor is really heavy due to the JP barrel and the buff hellfire upper.

The grendal has an old Leupold mark 4 and I put the new primary arms 6x30 ffp with the Deka reticle on the creedmoor. The PA scope feels solid and the glass is on par with my Nightforce. I've never tried the PA scope before so both rifles have an unknown component on them. I hope they shoot well.

20170720_211150.jpg

20170720_211247.jpg

I run a primary arms 1x6 on my light weight .308 and it is spot on.  To make it even sweeter it was a demo scope they had on the shelf in the store and I paid 100 bux for it. I've never used the platinum but it seems to work really well as far as the turrets go.  I did kind of a quasi box test with the bore laser and it went right back to the little red dot on the wall.  I have high expectations for it and hope it does well. It will be great if we a can buy a higher end scope for 1500 bux. I'm planning a light weight long range .308 and it might get another PA platinum if this one works well.

You're the first guy here running the Platinum DEKA, and I've been wanting to try one out. Tried recommending it to a few people, but they haven't bit yet.  Looking forward to a review on it - and you're right...  This is $1500, but it's punching WAY above it's weight class.  :thumbup:

I took the grendel to the range today and had a problem right away. I fired it and no cycle at all. Couldn't pull the bolt back at all. It was really stuck.  I took the upper off and tried to push it out with my cleaning rod and still no luck. Spent the rest of the day shooting another gun I brought with me.

When I went home went to work to get the bolt opened and get the shell out.  I had to take the barrel nut off and pound a cleaning rod down the barrel with a rubber mallet just to get the barrel out enough to twist it off of the bolt and the shell came out.

I've never had a headspace issue with any of the guns I've made.  When I had the barrel off I tried to put a round in the chamber and it didn't seem to go in far enough (I don't have a grendel headspace guage set).  I tried to put the bolt in on top of the shell I pulled out and their was just no way it would close with a reasonable amount of force. Since the barrel and the bolt/bcg were sold together I didn't think there would be an issue. 

Is this a headspace issue or was the chamber fugged up to begin with? 

That sounds like a short chamber.  Whoever chambered that barrel didn't chamber it deep enough. On top of that, they sold you a bolt with it, but there's no way in hell they headspaced that bolt to that barrel - or their chamber gauge would have stuck in it. 

My $0.02.  Lemme know what you find out. 

I'm sure they didn't check the headspace.   These guys were having an issue with the chambers being too deep on the grendel barrels and had a recall but I never heard about them being too shallow.  I'll give them a ring on Monday. Think they offer a lifetime guarantee.

Thought I was going to have a range review today BUT...sh!t happens.

16 minutes ago, MrPaul said:

These guys were having an issue with the chambers being too deep on the grendel barrels and had a recall

What happened to you doesn't sound like a chamber that's too deep...

3 hours ago, MrPaul said:

I took the grendel to the range today and had a problem right away. I fired it and no cycle at all. Couldn't pull the bolt back at all. It was really stuck.  I took the upper off and tried to push it out with my cleaning rod and still no luck. Spent the rest of the day shooting another gun I brought with me.

When I went home went to work to get the bolt opened and get the shell out.  I had to take the barrel nut off and pound a cleaning rod down the barrel with a rubber mallet just to get the barrel out enough to twist it off of the bolt and the shell came out.

I've never had a headspace issue with any of the guns I've made.  When I had the barrel off I tried to put a round in the chamber and it didn't seem to go in far enough (I don't have a grendel headspace guage set).  I tried to put the bolt in on top of the shell I pulled out and their was just no way it would close with a reasonable amount of force. Since the barrel and the bolt/bcg were sold together I didn't think there would be an issue. 

Is this a headspace issue or was the chamber fugged up to begin with? 

Geeez do I have to solve everyone's problems?

you gotta quit doing this  >>>>>   image.jpg                                          

• 3 months later...

Oddly enough.  I got the barrel back from odin and they said the chamber was in spec and the problem must be with the bolt.... So they sent the barrel back to the shop with another bolt.  The shop I bought it from swapped out the bolt and and we shot it into the barrel in the back. It works fine. Hopefully I can get it out to the range after hunting season and see how she shoots.